kibbage

kibbage

Build Talking Apps for Alexa: Can't find i18next module (page 23)

@habuma
I am running on Windows 11 with VS Code. I make all of the internationalization changes to the code. Then I open the command prompt and enter “npm install --prefix lambda i18next” while in the lambda directory. This creates another “lambda” directory to the current “lambda” directory and when I try to deploy and test the program I get “i18next” module is not found. I remove the sub-directory lambda and run the same npm command from the parent directory and everything looks good but again the i18next module can’t be found by the skill. I can see the folders and code in the lambda/node_modules sub-directory. I gave up and removed the i18next features and hard coded the responses. What did I do wrong?

First Post!

habuma

habuma

Author of Build Talking Apps for Alexa

Long answer follows…I’m thinking out loud here, hoping to arrive at a solution for you…

When you run npm install with --prefix you are giving it a path to where the Node project is located. If you don’t specify the --prefix parameter, it defaults to the current directory.

If you are in the Alexa project’s lambda directory, you don’t need (and shouldn’t use) the --prefix parameter because you are already in the part of the project that is the Node project. It will just add the dependency to the package.json in the current directory.

If you are in the Alexa project’s root, then you must use --prefix or it will try to put it into a package.json file in the current directory. And when it doesn’t find one, it will install it in a node_modules directory at your user’s home directory (which works for some use cases, but not so much when you plan to deploy and run your code somewhere other than your own machine).

So, you can either use --prefix from the Alexa project’s root or not use it if you are already in the lambda directory.

But you said you did it first with --prefix in the lambda directory and that created a new lambda directory. That’s not what you want, of course, but that is what I’d expect to happen. So you deleted that new lambda and did it again from the root (presumably with --prefix). You say that after doing that you see all of the modules in lambda/node_modules, so that all sounds right. May I assume that you see everything listed in lambda/package.json?

If so, then I can’t imagine it not working after you deploy it again. Assuming that you’re doing an Alexa-hosted skill, that means git commit of your changes…if AWS-hosted, then ask deploy.

In the Alexa-hosted case, you might need to give it a minute after the commit for the changes to be picked up. It’s not instantaneous. There’s a CI system that sees the commit changes and then deploys them. All together, I’ve seen it take several minutes on a slow day. One thing I’d do is go into the developer console, go to the “Code” tab, and inspect the package.json and relevant .js files there to see if Alexa has picked them up yet. If not, then wait a bit longer. If they are there, I’d maybe try deploying from the dev console (e.g., push the “Deploy” button at the top right) and waiting for that to complete. Also, note any warnings that might appear at the top of the page of the Code tab. (Note them, but then wait a minute or so and refresh to page to see if they go away on their own.)

If that still doesn’t work, then I’m stumped (well, mostly).

Try that stuff first and if you still have trouble, ping me again. I have some other ideas, but don’t want to make this reply any longer than it already is if the most common things will help you.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chapter 11: prefab) Just played a couple of amulet-less games. With a bit of debugging, I believe that your can_p...
New
edruder
I thought that there might be interest in using the book with Rails 6.1 and Ruby 2.7.2. I’ll note what I needed to do differently here. ...
New
AleksandrKudashkin
On the page xv there is an instruction to run bin/setup from the main folder. I downloaded the source code today (12/03/21) and can’t see...
New
brian-m-ops
#book-python-testing-with-pytest-second-edition Hi. Thanks for writing the book. I am just learning so this might just of been an issue ...
New
oaklandgit
Hi, I completed chapter 6 but am getting the following error when running: thread 'main' panicked at 'Failed to load texture: IoError(O...
New
jonmac
The allprojects block listed on page 245 produces the following error when syncing gradle: “org.gradle.api.GradleScriptException: A prob...
New
creminology
Skimming ahead, much of the following is explained in Chapter 3, but new readers (like me!) will hit a roadblock in Chapter 2 with their ...
New
mert
AWDWR 7, page 152, page 153: Hello everyone, I’m a little bit lost on the hotwire part. I didn’t fully understand it. On page 152 @rub...
New
mcpierce
@mfazio23 I’ve applied the changes from Chapter 5 of the book and everything builds correctly and runs. But, when I try to start a game,...
New
SlowburnAZ
Getting an error when installing the dependencies at the start of this chapter: could not compile dependency :exla, "mix compile" failed...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New

Sub Categories: