mikecargal

mikecargal

Apple Game Frameworks and Technologies: currentPlayer = nil

Title: Apple Game Frameworks and Technologies: currentPlayer = nil (page 412)

Given my recent track record on my problem posts, I would not blame anyone for giving me a day or so to discover what I did wrong.

In this case. in the canTakeTurn() func called from GameScene.setupRemoteGame(), the match.currentParticipant?.player is nil. Both instances are getting the same nil result, so both instances think it’s the other player’s turn. So far, I’m not seeing a way to reset things, but I would think that, if it’s possible that the match.currentParticipant?.player can be nil, then there should be some code to handle that state. (BTW, the match.currentParticipant is not nil. Here’s a bit of print output attempting to debug this:

Attempting to load the lobby scene.
player( <GKLocalPlayer: 0x600001aa6100>(alias:App Tester 2 name:App Tester 2 status:(null) friendBiDirectional:0 friendPlayedWith:0 friendPlayedNearby:0 acceptedGameInviteFromThisFriend:0 initiatedGameInviteToThisFriend:0 automatchedTogether:0)
 receivedTurnEventFor:<GKTurnBasedMatch 0x600003a716e0 - matchID:2dc64251-a2ed-4d8b-a3cf-6e43530492eb bundleID:com.mikecargal.hogdice status:GKTurnBasedMatchStatusMatching message:'' creationDate:2021-01-26 15:43:22 +0000 currentParticipant:<GKTurnBasedParticipant 0x6000036be7b0 - status:Matching matchOutcome:None lastTurnDate:(null) timeoutDate:(null)> participants:<GKTurnBasedParticipant 0x6000036be9d0 - status:Active matchOutcome:None lastTurnDate:2021-01-26 15:45:48 +0000 timeoutDate:(null)>,<GKTurnBasedParticipant 0x6000036be7b0 - status:Matching matchOutcome:None lastTurnDate:(null) timeoutDate:(null)> matchData.length:151 matchDataMaximumSize:65536 exchanges:(null) state:4>
didBecomeActive:true
 -- currentplayer: nil
Attempting to load the game scene using Game Center Match data.
Attempting to load the game scene.

for context this is where most of this output comes from:

   func player(_ player: GKPlayer,
                receivedTurnEventFor match: GKTurnBasedMatch,
                didBecomeActive: Bool)
    {
        print("player( \(player)\n receivedTurnEventFor:\(match)\ndidBecomeActive:\(didBecomeActive)")
        print(" -- currentplayer: \(match.currentParticipant?.player)")
        matchmakerViewController?.dismiss(animated: true, completion: nil)
        NotificationCenter.default.post(name: .receivedTurnEvent, object: match)
    }

    func canTakeTurn() -> Bool {
        guard let match = currentMatch else { return false }
        let currentParticipant = match.currentParticipant
        let currentPlayer = currentParticipant?.player
        print("match = \(match)\ncurrentPlayer = \(currentPlayer)\nlocalPlayer = \(GKLocalPlayer.local)")
        return match.currentParticipant?.player == GKLocalPlayer.local
    }

Going to take the challenge of trying to sort out how to handle this state, but thought I’d pass along…

BTW… an observation: In Chapter 17, the instructions generally go along the lines of “replace // TODO: …” with … That works OK on the first pass, but makes going back through to double check your work a bit challenging.

observation 2: The instructions to respond to certain events by posting a notification and then responding to that notification over in another class, could use a bit of elaboration as to why that’s the thing to do. It’s not clear if it’s just demonstrating another way of getting something done in another class, or if there’s some sort of reason why the “real work” needs to happen on the thread that the Observer is running on (just a wild guess as to what might be behind that)

First Post!

mikecargal

mikecargal

I’m not quite to the bottom of things yet, but I have observed something that, I think, throws a kink in the book’s logic.

When I set up my tester account, apple assigned a name of “Player_4939364543”, I didn’t really like that, so I worked to change it to “App Tester 2” on my simulator. When I get into the addPlayer() function, I’ve received “App Tester 2” from the loadGameCenterGame() function, but already have “Player_4939364543” loaded.

As you can see from the debugging variables, both the existing players[0] and the player I’m adding have a player ID of “A:_d1bd1278a67fdab60ac1de3fc6089d18”, but have different names. I would take that to mean that the playerId (alone) uniquely identifies the player, and that trying to look the player up by name is misguided.

I’m not positive, but suspect that this will be a factor in tracking down this behavior.

I hate to keep dragging folks through troubleshooting my typos, but in this case, I’m pretty sure that this is a real-world scenario that the code in the book should handle correctly. (people are going to be able to rename their players (which apparently gives them a different name locally (??? - really foggy on this so far)))

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

abtin
page 20: … protoc command… I had to additionally run the following go get commands in order to be able to compile protobuf code using go...
New
lirux
Hi Jamis, I think there’s an issue with a test on chapter 6. I own the ebook, version P1.0 Feb. 2019. This test doesn’t pass for me: ...
New
raul
Hi Travis! Thank you for the cool book! :slight_smile: I made a list of issues and thought I could post them chapter by chapter. I’m rev...
New
AleksandrKudashkin
On the page xv there is an instruction to run bin/setup from the main folder. I downloaded the source code today (12/03/21) and can’t see...
New
joepstender
The generated iex result below should list products instead of product for the metadata. (page 67) iex&gt; product = %Product{} %Pento....
New
alanq
This isn’t directly about the book contents so maybe not the right forum…but in some of the code apps (e.g. turbo/06) it sends a TURBO_ST...
New
brian-m-ops
#book-python-testing-with-pytest-second-edition Hi. Thanks for writing the book. I am just learning so this might just of been an issue ...
New
mert
AWDWR 7, page 152, page 153: Hello everyone, I’m a little bit lost on the hotwire part. I didn’t fully understand it. On page 152 @rub...
New
mcpierce
@mfazio23 I’ve applied the changes from Chapter 5 of the book and everything builds correctly and runs. But, when I try to start a game,...
New
dachristenson
I just bought this book to learn about Android development, and I’m already running into a major issue in Ch. 1, p. 20: “Update activity...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New

Sub Categories: