msducheminjr

msducheminjr

Agile Web Development with Rails 8: Iteration K3 various issues (B3 PDF p. 265-271)

  • Paragraph on p 265, you no longer navigate to http://localhost:3000/admin to login. It’s now http://localhost:3000/session/new (or just try to access the support requests resource and you’ll be redirected there after login)
  • The screenshot at the top of page 266 shows the login prompt instead of the support requests.
  • If you try to access the support requests before you set up ActionText, you’ll get a NoMethodError on the template.
  • The code snippet on pages 264-265 shouldn’t have the conditional about <% if support_request.response.blank? %> yet if the intent is to show the index before the rich text is implemented
  • You need to run a bundle install after bin/rails action_text:install and before bin/rails db:migrate because the ActionText install adds in the image_processing gem.
  • When the <% if support_request.response.blank? %> section is added on pages 267-269, it is duplicated (because it was already there in error in the previous snippet).
  • Update controller method doesn’t use the new params.expect convention. It will also respond irrespective of whether the SupportRequest successfully updates or not.
  • The rich_text_area occurrences in iteration K3 and the reference in the index at the back of the book should be updated to rich_textarea to match current Rails convention and guides.
  • There is a snippet to add SupportRequestMailer.respond(support_request).deliver_now to the update method on page 271, but it was already present (in error) on page 269.
  • This is probably more of an iteration K2 issue, but the inverse relationship to SupportRequest on the Order model (has_many :support_requests, dependent: :nullify) never gets created. I discovered it when I created a SupportRequest fixture that had an order and my other tests started failing.

Marked As Solved

rubys

rubys

Author of Agile Web Development With Rails

Very thorough! Thanks!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

edruder
I thought that there might be interest in using the book with Rails 6.1 and Ruby 2.7.2. I’ll note what I needed to do differently here. ...
New
raul
Hi Travis! Thank you for the cool book! :slight_smile: I made a list of issues and thought I could post them chapter by chapter. I’m rev...
New
Mmm
Hi, build fails on: bracket-lib = “~0.8.1” when running on Mac Mini M1 Rust version 1.5.0: Compiling winit v0.22.2 error[E0308]: mi...
New
raul
Page 28: It implements io.ReaderAt on the store type. Sorry if it’s a dumb question but was the io.ReaderAt supposed to be io.ReadAt? ...
New
jeremyhuiskamp
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, vB17.0 (p9) The create table guestbook syntax suggested doesn’t seem to be accepted ...
New
New
Chrichton
Dear Sophie. I tried to do the “Authorization” exercise and have two questions: When trying to plug in an email-service, I found the ...
New
digitalbias
Title: Build a Weather Station with Elixir and Nerves: Problem connecting to Postgres with Grafana on (page 64) If you follow the defau...
New
taguniversalmachine
Hi, I am getting an error I cannot figure out on my test. I have what I think is the exact code from the book, other than I changed “us...
New
kolossal
Hi, I need some help, I’m new to rust and was learning through your book. but I got stuck at the last stage of distribution. Whenever I t...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Programming Ruby is the most complete book on Ruby, covering both the language itself and the standard library as well as commonly used t...
New
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New

Sub Categories: