Andrei
Agile Web Development with Rails 7: Missing instructions on building an Atom feed (page 181)
On the page 181 it’s said:
We also don’t have time to build a full-fledged admin user interface right now, so we’ll take advantage of the various Atom feed readers that exist and have our app export all the orders as an Atom feed so the customer can quickly see what’s been purchased.
Looks like instructions on creating an Atom feed should follow right there, but they are missing. On the page 182 it’s said:
What We Just Did:
- We provided a feed so the administrator can monitor incoming orders.
And on the page 183:
Playtime
Here’s some stuff to try on your own:
- Get HTML- and JSON-formatted views working for who_bought requests. Experiment with including the order information in the JSON view by rendering @product.to_json(include: :orders). Do the same thing for XML using ActiveModel::Serializers::Xml.2
Looks like this task is related to the Atom feed that should have been built above.
Most Liked
rubys
Author of Agile Web Development With Rails
XML seems to be increasingly de-emphasized these days, but here is the essence of what was in that section:
edit app/controllers/products_controller.rb
def who_bought
@product = Product.find(params[:id])
@latest_order = @product.orders.order(:updated_at).last
if stale?(@latest_order)
respond_to do |format|
format.atom
end
end
end
Define an Atom view (using the Atom builder)
edit app/views/products/who_bought.atom.builder
atom_feed do |feed|
feed.title "Who bought #{@product.title}"
feed.updated @latest_order.try(:updated_at)
@product.orders.each do |order|
feed.entry(order) do |entry|
entry.title "Order #{order.id}"
entry.summary type: 'xhtml' do |xhtml|
xhtml.p "Shipped to #{order.address}"
xhtml.table do
xhtml.tr do
xhtml.th 'Product'
xhtml.th 'Quantity'
xhtml.th 'Total Price'
end
order.line_items.each do |item|
xhtml.tr do
xhtml.td item.product.title
xhtml.td item.quantity
xhtml.td number_to_currency item.total_price
end
end
xhtml.tr do
xhtml.th 'total', colspan: 2
xhtml.th number_to_currency \
order.line_items.map(&:total_price).sum
end
end
xhtml.p "Paid by #{order.pay_type}"
end
entry.author do |author|
author.name order.name
author.email order.email
end
end
end
end
Add "orders" to the Product class
edit app/models/product.rb
class Product < ApplicationRecord
has_many :line_items
has_many :orders, through: :line_items
#...
end
1
Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics
page 20: … protoc command…
I had to additionally run the following go get commands in order to be able to compile protobuf code using go...
New
Many tasks_proj/tests directories exist in chapters 2, 3, 5 that have tests that use the custom markers smoke and get, which are not decl...
New
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, pg 116
Hi - I just started chapter 5 and I am stuck on page 116 while trying to star...
New
When I try the command to create a pair of migration files I get an error.
user=> (create-migration "guestbook")
Execution error (Ill...
New
Title: Hands-on Rust: question about get_component (page 295)
(feel free to respond. “You dug you’re own hole… good luck”)
I have somet...
New
#book-python-testing-with-pytest-second-edition
Hi. Thanks for writing the book. I am just learning so this might just of been an issue ...
New
Hi, I need some help, I’m new to rust and was learning through your book. but I got stuck at the last stage of distribution. Whenever I t...
New
Modern Front-End Development for Rails - application does not start after run bin/setup (page xviii)
After some hassle, I was able to finally run bin/setup, now I have started the rails server but I get this error message right when I vis...
New
I am using Android Studio Chipmunk | 2021.2.1 Patch 2
Build #AI-212.5712.43.2112.8815526, built on July 10, 2022
Runtime version: 11.0....
New
I just bought this book to learn about Android development, and I’m already running into a major issue in Ch. 1, p. 20: “Update activity...
New
Other popular topics
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
Start building native Android apps the modern way in Kotlin with Jetpack's expansive set of tools, libraries, and best practices. Learn h...
New
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig.
General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc.
However, I don’t...
New
This is cool!
DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON
We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
This is a very quick guide, you just need to:
Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/
Click on search
Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New
Latest in Agile Web Development with Rails 7
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Popular Portals
- /elixir
- /rust
- /wasm
- /ruby
- /erlang
- /phoenix
- /keyboards
- /python
- /js
- /rails
- /security
- /go
- /swift
- /vim
- /java
- /clojure
- /typescript
- /emacs
- /haskell
- /svelte
- /onivim
- /kotlin
- /react
- /c-plus-plus
- /crystal
- /tailwind
- /gleam
- /ocaml
- /elm
- /vscode
- /flutter
- /html
- /ash
- /deepseek
- /zig
- /opensuse
- /centos
- /php
- /scala
- /react-native
- /lisp
- /sublime-text
- /textmate
- /nixos
- /debian
- /agda
- /deno
- /django
- /kubuntu
- /arch-linux
- /nodejs
- /ubuntu
- /spring
- /revery
- /manjaro
- /julia
- /diversity
- /lua
- /quarkus
- /markdown









