CommunityNews

CommunityNews

PHP has been removed in macOS Monterey

Q: PHP seems to be missing from this release.

A: PHP has been removed in macOS Monterey.

Details here:

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/681907

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Most Liked

ohm

ohm

From Wikipedia:

Python 2 was discontinued with version 2.7.18 in 2020

So maybe not that ancient of a Python version,

However, Wikipedia also states:

Python 2.7’s end-of-life date was initially set at 2015 then postponed to 2020 out of concern that a large body of existing code could not easily be forward-ported to Python 3.

The 2.6 run of Ruby was released in December 2018 and is still maintained (2.6.7 is the newest 2.x), but is at end of support. 2.7 was released before the release of Big Sur.


What one can wonder, is why the OS even ships with these interpreters? Surely, I should just be able to install a dev-package, if I needed them?

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

That was when security updates stopped. Overall non-security development on it stopped literal many years ago! No one should have been using 2.7 for years and years.

I was also wondering about that. Like do Mac’s actually run python and ruby scripts in their base system?!? Lol.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Why on earth was Apple even shipping such an incredibly old and insecure version of PHP as it was?!?

Where Next?

Popular Macos topics Top

AstonJ
What was it? What language did you use? How did you find the experience?
New
AstonJ
Anyone else experience bugs with macOS? I have two that are annoying me… Every now and again after waking from sleep, Safari CPU cons...
New
New
AstonJ
Apparently Apple is working on new Mac Pros that will be half the size of current Mac Pros… As part of the transition to Apple Silicon,...
New
AstonJ
Just over an hour to go… anyone going to be watching it? New Macs? :nerd_face:
New
New
AstonJ
Thought it might be interesting to have a thread for any unusual bugs we might come across…
New
New
AstonJ
Following this news: https://forum.devtalk.com/t/silver-sparrow-new-malware-found-on-30k-macs-has-security-pros-stumped/7241 just wondere...
New
AstonJ
I almost did last night, but then had a change of heart - might just see what others think or wait for the initial set of bug-fixes first...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New