AstonJ
2021 Developer Predictions Thread
With 2021 just around the corner, I thought it would be fun to start a thread about our predictions for the next few years.
- What do you think is going to happen in 2021 and beyond?
- Which languages or frameworks will shine or increase in popularity?
- Are there any new databases on the horizon?
- What do you think will happen on the frontend?
- What do you think will happen on the backend?
- What do you think will happen on mobile/IoT/Edge computing/etc?
- Will we see more people get into functional programming? Static typing?
- Will any cool new tech or methodologies emerge?
- What about dev-related hardware? Will we see new Macs/computers/monitors/keyboards/etc?
Perhaps there’s something you’d like to see happen? Let us know!

Most Liked
SmithyTT
PHP, JS, Python, Java, C will remain dominant–a million new JS frameworks will come and go–nothing much will change then–apart from Rust becoming even cooler 
1
Popular General Dev topics
I always start with excitement and then get busy on 9/10th day. This year, like the year before this, and the year before that, I intend ...
New
What do people think about Data-Oriented Programming, like this book tackles? https://www.manning.com/books/data-oriented-programming
Ho...
New
Hi everyone… I’m so sorry about the delay in getting this thread up, I’ve just been so busy :see_no_evil:
Are there any book clubs you’d...
New
I am thinking about getting a fitness tracker of some kind (probably one from Garmin). Have any of you developed your own widgets, watchf...
New
With 100% less blockchain.
I went searching for a lightweight immutable database that could be audited and ran into this.
I guess this ...
New
I’ve been watching Prag Dave’s Elixir course and I noticed he uses tree:
Tree is a recursive directory listing program that produces a ...
New
Your users of the two forums are spread across the world, thus I am curious how did you solved it?
New
Hi everyone!
I bought this domain name when I was planning to create a website like ElixirSchool.com, but that didn’t ever happen.
Now ...
New
Chris Seaton, the creator of TruffleRuby has died. It appears from suicide :cry:
He left this note on Twitter on the weekend:
And one...
New
Thought this would be a nice way to start the year - have you seen or written a function (or method) or piece of code that you are partic...
New
Other popular topics
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
Start building native Android apps the modern way in Kotlin with Jetpack's expansive set of tools, libraries, and best practices. Learn h...
New
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one:
I got 51/100:
Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
Jan | Rethink the Computer.
Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application.
Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
- All
- In The News (11384)
- Dev Chat
- Questions (38)
- Resources (122)
- Blogs/Talks (29)
- Jobs (3)
- Events (15)
- Code Editors (59)
- Hardware (60)
- Reviews (5)
- Sales (16)
- Design & UX (5)
- Marketing & SEO (2)
- Industry & Culture (14)
- Ethics & Privacy (19)
- Business (4)
- Learning Methods (7)
- Content Creators (7)
- DevOps & Hosting (14)
Popular Portals
- /elixir
- /rust
- /wasm
- /ruby
- /erlang
- /phoenix
- /keyboards
- /python
- /js
- /rails
- /security
- /go
- /swift
- /vim
- /java
- /clojure
- /typescript
- /emacs
- /haskell
- /svelte
- /onivim
- /kotlin
- /react
- /c-plus-plus
- /crystal
- /tailwind
- /gleam
- /ocaml
- /elm
- /vscode
- /flutter
- /html
- /ash
- /deepseek
- /zig
- /opensuse
- /centos
- /php
- /react-native
- /scala
- /lisp
- /textmate
- /sublime-text
- /nixos
- /debian
- /agda
- /deno
- /django
- /kubuntu
- /arch-linux
- /nodejs
- /ubuntu
- /spring
- /revery
- /manjaro
- /julia
- /diversity
- /lua
- /quarkus
- /markdown









