herminiotorres

herminiotorres

What dev machine do you have?

Tell us what kind of machine/hardware do you have? and what kind of reason for?

describe your hardware… :computer: :nerd_face:

Most Liked

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

My dev machine is self-built, been upgrading it over the past 30 years to what it is now; parts in it range from about 6-7 years old to almost 20 years old for some parts that refuse to die so I can replace them with something modern… ^.^;

AstonJ

AstonJ

I’ve got a 16" MBP… which I love :nerd:

I mentioned in another thread that I have been buying a new Mac every year for the past few years but none of them felt worth ditching my 11" MBA for (which I loved!) - that changed when they brought out the 16" MBP, which was handy as that’s when the MBA started showing its age (funnily enough after each OS update it would feel a little slower!!!).

Hopefully this MB will last me a good few years, here are the specs:

  • 2.3GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.8GHz
  • 64GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
  • 2TB SSD storage
  • 16-inch Retina display with True Tone

I also have an 5K LG display which I also really like - particularly like that I can simply plug in one cable into my Mac which then charges the Mac, feeds the display, is connected to my SSDs for back ups and other USB accessories such as a charging cable for my Kindle and iPhone for photo transfers. I bought the monitor when Apple had it on offer so saved about £400 on it.

I love pretty much everything about this set-up, apart from…

  • The price! Why have computers become so expensive? Aren’t advances in technology meant to be bringing the price down :joy:
  • The black (and somewhat thick) frame of the LG monitor. I would have preferred silver and thinner bezels. But the display itself is pretty amazing.
  • Size of display. Think for me a 30" or 32" monitor would be better… but I’m not paying £6K for the new Apple Displays :rofl:
asgartech

asgartech

My company-issued laptop is a Dell Latitude 7480 with Windows 10. I’m due for a replacement this year. I would love a T-series ThinkPad, but my day job only issues developers a choice between HP or Dell. :crying_cat_face:

My personal desktop (imaginos) is a refurbed Lenovo ThinkCentre M92P. I maxed out the RAM, added a 1TB SSD as my primary drive, and demoted the original 2TB drive to backup duty.

My personal laptop (desdinova) is a refurbished ThinkPad T60. I maxed out the RAM and replaced the original 160GB hard drive with a 1TB SSD.

Both of my machines run Slackware 14.2 with the latest patches. I build additional packages from slackbuilds.org on imaginos and copy them to desdinova. I use Unison to sync files.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
Do you use (or does your dev machine have) a Retina or HiDPI screen? poll Here’s an explanation of what HiDPI is - from Steve Jobs when ...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from What monitor(s) do you have for programming? - just wondering if anyone has used blue light blockers or gl...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
ohm
My employer is letting me get a new laptop for developing on. Should I get the new MacBook Pro M1 or the MacBook Air M1 and why? :man_te...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
First poster: bot
CutiePi is a Raspberry Pi 4 tablet that turns your project into an untethered adventure. Build and create wherever an idea strikes you. N...
New
dwaynebradley
Has anyone see this one yet: Now granted, this one is VERY new but the modularity is really nice if they can make a go of it as a comp...
New
First poster: bot
For many of my school and university years, I used and liked my ThinkPad X200 ultraportable laptop. But now that these years are long gon...
New
AstonJ
This might be my next keyboard (the down arrow on my Apple Magic Keyboard has stopped working :icon_rolleyes:) https://cdn.shopify.com/s...
New
AstonJ
I found an old electric monitor and thought I’d see what my LG5K monitor while connected to the Mac was using - it powers the Mac and all...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New