CommunityNews

CommunityNews

The four noisy horsemen of Perl hate

I publish Perl stories on this blog once a week, and it seems every time there’s at least one response on social media that amounts to, “I hate Perl because of its weird syntax.” Or, “It looks like line noise.” (Perl seems to have outlasted that one — when’s the last time you used an acoustic modem?) Or the quote attributed to Keith Bostic: “The only language that looks the same before and after RSA encryption.”

So let’s address, confront, and demystify this hate. What are these objectionable syntactical, noisy, possibly encrypted bits? And why does Perl have them?

Read in full here:

https://phoenixtrap.com/2021/07/20/the-four-noisy-horsemen-of-perl-hate/

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

New
New
CommunityNews
A new study looks into the dematerialized office, where sensorial experiences such as touch, taste, smell, and sensations of hot or cold ...
New
First poster: OvermindDL1
This comes up in my conversations surprisingly often so I thought it’s worth to write my thoughts down instead of repeating them again an...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Pocketlang is a small (~3000 semicolons) and fast functional language written in C. It’s syntactically similar to Ruby and it can be lear...
New
First poster: KnowledgeIsPower
Rocket is a web framework written in Rust. It provides a concise API and is opinionated and feature-rich beyond what you would typically ...
New
New
First poster: bot
GitHub - cshum/imagor: Fast, Docker-ready image processing server written in Go and libvips, with Thumbor URL syntax. Fast, Docker-ready...
New
First poster: bot
Rails adds support for Fiber-safe ActiveRecord ConnectionPools. Ruby on Rails and ReactJS consulting company. We also build mobile appli...
New
First poster: bot
crubit/design.md at main · google/crubit. Contribute to google/crubit development by creating an account on GitHub.
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New