apoorv-2204

apoorv-2204

Senior Engineers vs. AI: What Changes, What Doesn’t?

I’m reaching out to all software engineers, especially senior developers — I really want to hear your thoughts.

I’ve always loved building things with code and solving real-world problems. It’s what drives me. But with the rapid rise of AI, I’ll be honest — it’s been frustrating and unsettling.

Where does this leave us? What does the future hold for experienced engineers like us?

How do we stay relevant, future-proof our careers, and continue doing meaningful work?

I’m at a crossroads and trying to figure out the next direction:

  • Should I go deeper into AI?
  • Focus on cloud engineering?
  • Explore blockchain more seriously?

For context, I have extensive experience in Elixir and backend systems — but I’m open to where the future is headed.And I love working with elixir

Would love to hear from others in the field. What are you thinking, planning, or worried about? Let’s talk.

Most Liked

ragamuf

ragamuf

Maybe we are solving the wrong problem here. Like in programming, we can be guilty of advancing solutions to a poorly understood problem. Maybe AI is the opportunity to stop and reflect on why we got into this field. Your opening paragraphs summed up your answer to this question before the BUT. We may need to question our identity as developers and realize something bigger brought us to this game. Surely, if you love to do something, continue until the day the path becomes intolerable. At that time, or better yet before, use this opportunity to find another road to continue nurturing the creative aspect that brought you to software development. Will it be easy? Most likely not. But it has less to do with AI and more with how we define ourselves and use those limitations to restrict the boundaries of probable solutions. Software is not the only answer should that day come. This awareness is the wake-up call AI can give us now. Do not allow anyone or anything to stifle your creative voice. Find an alternate outlet to express it and keep on expressing it. This is the ultimate satisfaction you reap as a developer beyond the salary and benefits. Software is only one such outlet unless you choose to tell yourself differently.

jss

jss

I am a .NET application developer, but I have been trying to learn some AI stuff the past few weeks. To be honest, I am a little bit scared if I would still be hireable in the next couple of years if AI gets really advanced.

dani

dani

I guess it might take a few more years, but software development/engineering could really be different in the future from what old heads, me included, are used to.

Where Next?

Popular Ai topics Top

AstonJ
This video about multi-agent AI is a really nice watch - it only took them a few million tries to master certain strategies - doing much ...
#ai
New
AstonJ
Loads of news stories about DeepSeek here in the last few days, no surprise as it’s been making headlines across the world! Currently a h...
New
AstonJ
AI has been a hot topic here on Devtalk recently, so along that theme: How useful do you think AI dev tools are right now and how useful ...
New
Eiji
Yesterday a very interesting to discuss situation have happen. While StackOverflow still suffer a lot, because of chat bots, but yesterda...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Anthropic launched Claude Design this week and there’s a lot of noise about the generation demos and the stock reaction. But the feature ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Google just dropped a significant Deep Research upgrade: collaborative planning, multi-tool orchestration (MCP servers, Code Execution, F...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Anthropic shipped Opus 4.7 last week and the agentic coding improvements look real. But the breaking changes are giving me pause. Specif...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Cursor cloud agent development This month’s updates: Codex got real Windows sandboxing (May 13) ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
I was reading through a curated list of 60 real-world Claude Fable 5 cases (each logged with input, process, output, and an evidence tag)...
New
pagan
I am seeking a talented video creator who can help create stunning cinematic movies for the upcoming browser MMORPG Orizaya: Sisters of t...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New