StevenNunez

StevenNunez

Real-World Event Sourcing: Command Tense (page 6)

In v2 of the calculator, does it make sens for the command tenses to be present?

defmodule EventSourcedCalculator.V2 do                                              
  def handle_command(%{value: _val}, %{cmd: :add, value: v}) do                     
    %{event_type: :value_added, value: v}                                           
  end                                                                               
                                                                                    
  def handle_command(%{value: _val}, %{cmd: :sub, value: v}) do                     
    %{event_type: :value_subtracted, value: v}                                      
  end                                                                               
                                                                                    
  def handle_command(%{value: _val}, %{cmd: :mul, value: v}) do                     
    %{event_type: :value_multiplied, value: v}                                      
  end                                                                               
                                                                                    
  def handle_command(%{value: _val}, %{cmd: :div, value: v}) do                     
    %{event_type: :value_divided, value: v}                                         
  end                                                                               
                                                                                    
  def handle_event(%{value: val},                                                   
                   %{event_type: :value_added, value: v}) do                        
    %{value: val + v}                                                               
  end                                                                               
                                                                                    
  def handle_event(%{value: val},                                                   
                   %{event_type: :value_subtracted, value: v}) do                   
    %{value: val - v}                                                               
  end                                                                               
                                                                                    
  def handle_event(%{value: val},                                                   
                   %{event_type: :value_multiplied, value: v}) do                   
    %{value: val * v}                                                               
  end                                                                               
                                                                                    
  def handle_event(%{value: val},                                                   
                   %{event_type: :value_divided, value: v}) do                      
    %{value: val / v}                                                               
  end                                                                               
end 

For instance the command to add a value is value_added, however, making it add_value does 2 things. Communicates that the value has not been added yet and also allows consumers to more naturally respond to a command to add a value. It makes sense for handlers upon adding the numbers to emit value_added as an event.

Am I misunderstanding something?

First Post!

StevenNunez

StevenNunez

I wonder if a better example would have been to model the actions from a calculator.

commands = [
  %{action: "press button", value: 1},
  %{action: "press button", value: :plus},
  %{action: "press button", value: 1},
  %{action: "press button", value: :equal},
]

When you run through these commands, the event handler for a button press with the value of equal would attempt to run the calculation. All other events would build a buffer.

This isn’t perfect either though since you’d need to introduce taking input into the example with complicates things in addition to holding state.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jeffmcompsci
Title: Design and Build Great Web APIs - typo “https://company-atk.herokuapp.com/2258ie4t68jv” (page 19, third bullet in URL list) Typo:...
New
jesse050717
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, pg 116 Hi - I just started chapter 5 and I am stuck on page 116 while trying to star...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chapter 11: prefab) Just played a couple of amulet-less games. With a bit of debugging, I believe that your can_p...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-on Rust: question about get_component (page 295) (feel free to respond. “You dug you’re own hole… good luck”) I have somet...
New
raul
Hi Travis! Thank you for the cool book! :slight_smile: I made a list of issues and thought I could post them chapter by chapter. I’m rev...
New
JohnS
I can’t setup the Rails source code. This happens in a working directory containing multiple (postgres) Rails apps. With: ruby-3.0.0 s...
New
AleksandrKudashkin
On the page xv there is an instruction to run bin/setup from the main folder. I downloaded the source code today (12/03/21) and can’t see...
New
brian-m-ops
#book-python-testing-with-pytest-second-edition Hi. Thanks for writing the book. I am just learning so this might just of been an issue ...
New
mcpierce
@mfazio23 I’ve applied the changes from Chapter 5 of the book and everything builds correctly and runs. But, when I try to start a game,...
New
dachristenson
I’ve got to the end of Ch. 11, and the app runs, with all tabs displaying what they should – at first. After switching around between St...
New

Other popular topics Top

DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New

Sub Categories: