brunogirin

brunogirin

Python Testing with pytest, Second Edition: explain the rationale behind the change in the fixture code (pages 143, 144)

In the “Testing at Multiple Layers to Avoid Mocking” section, the code for the cards_db fixture changes. In previous chapters, it was something like:

@pytest.fixture(scope="session")
def db(tmp_path_factory):
  """CardsDB object connected to a temporary database"""
  db_path = tmp_path_factory.mktemp('cards_db')
  db_ = cards.CardsDB(db_path)
  yield db_
  db_.close()

@pytest.fixture(scope="function")
def cards_db(db, request, faker):
  """CardsDB object that's empty"""
  db.delete_all()
  return db

When we reach this section, it changes to:

@pytest.fixture(scope="module")
def db_path(tmp_path_factory):
  db_path = tmp_path_factory.mktemp("cards_db")
  return db_path

@pytest.fixture()
def cards_db(db_path, monkeypatch):
  monkeypatch.setenv("CARDS_DB_DIR", str(db_path))
  db_ = cards.CardsDB(db_path)
  db_.delete_all()
  yield db_
  db_.close()

Explaning this code change could introduce some important testing concepts that junior developers may struggle with. By adding the monkeypatch.setenv line, you ensure that the high level API via the cards_db package will point to the same database as the one created manually via the cards.CardsDB class. This is necessary because your tests operate at two different levels at the same time. It might be useful to show it failing if you don’t set the environment variable and explain why.

This also introduces an important concept about how you design your tests. As mentioned elsewhere in the book, tests are meant to be independent and you need to ensure you know what they’re testing. One way this is often done is by designing tests such that the “When” part of the test is the only part that exercises the code under test (in this case, the cards_db package) while the “Given” and “Then” parts of the test are kept independent of the code under test. This way you know exactly what the “When” part is testing. However, when designing your tests that way, it means the “When” part is acting against a different layer from the “Given” and “Then” parts and you need to ensure those layers are configured the same.

This test design point introduces another point about making your app easily testable. In the case of the CardDB app, the fact that its main configuration option can be set via an environment variable is what makes this code possible.

Finally, this raises a point about test strategy. When I see code like this in my own projects, I immediately add a simple test suite to validate that the configuration options are properly handled. If those tests fail in the future, it is likely that a lot of other tests will fail in cascade. I typically set a special mark on those such as @pytest.mark.canary so if I suddently have a lot of tests failing, I check the canary ones first and make sure they are fixed as a priority on the basis that if those fail, a lot of others will fail too.

Apologies for such a complex and long-winded comment on this small change. When I started asking myself “why?” repeatedly when seeing that code change, I realised that there were a lot of logic behind that change that is natural to an experienced tester but not to a junior one. I don’t know if this would be better explained as an addition to this chapter, an aside, or any other form but I feel that it would be worthwhile to explain the rationale behind this code change.

First Post!

brianokken

brianokken

Author of Python Testing with pytest

Thanks for the feedback

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

New
jon
Some minor things in the paper edition that says “3 2020” on the title page verso, not mentioned in the book’s errata online: p. 186 But...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-on Rust: question about get_component (page 295) (feel free to respond. “You dug you’re own hole… good luck”) I have somet...
New
alanq
This isn’t directly about the book contents so maybe not the right forum…but in some of the code apps (e.g. turbo/06) it sends a TURBO_ST...
New
patoncrispy
I’m new to Rust and am using this book to learn more as well as to feed my interest in game dev. I’ve just finished the flappy dragon exa...
New
AndyDavis3416
@noelrappin Running the webpack dev server, I receive the following warning: ERROR in tsconfig.json TS18003: No inputs were found in c...
New
fynn
This is as much a suggestion as a question, as a note for others. Locally the SGP30 wasn’t available, so I ordered a SGP40. On page 53, ...
New
jskubick
I’m under the impression that when the reader gets to page 136 (“View Data with the Database Inspector”), the code SHOULD be able to buil...
New
jskubick
I found an issue in Chapter 7 regarding android:backgroundTint vs app:backgroundTint. How to replicate: load chapter-7 from zipfile i...
New
SlowburnAZ
Getting an error when installing the dependencies at the start of this chapter: could not compile dependency :exla, "mix compile" failed...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New

Sub Categories: