deadbeef

deadbeef

Metaprogramming Elixir: code example error (page 22)

The code example on page 22 is intended to show how to re-create Elixir’s if macro. However, it uses if on line 3.

The macro block just passes the args to if. This could be a typo and meant to be my_if. If that’s the case, a simple substitution would result in the error ... cannot invoke macro my_if/2 before its definition.

defmacro my_if(expr, do: if_block), do: if(expr, do: if_block, else: nil)
                                        ^^

That leads me to believe the example can be re-written to be more similar to Elixir’s own implementation^1, e.g.

defmodule ControlFlow do
  defmacro my_if(expr, clauses) do
    build_my_if(expr, clauses)
  end

  defp build_my_if(expr, do: if_block) do
    build_my_if(expr, do: if_block, else: nil)
  end

  defp build_my_if(expr, do: if_block, else: else_block) do
    quote do
      case unquote(expr) do
        result when result in [false, nil] -> unquote(else_block)
        _ -> unquote(if_block)
      end
    end 
  end
end

Same idea, but instead of 2 macros we have 1 macro that passes to a private function with 2 clauses.

Further, using the built-in if leads to an unexpected expansion, using the example:

iex> quote do ControlFlow.my_if 1 == 1, do: :ok end |> Macro.expand_once(__ENV__)
:ok

I believe this is because Elixir’s implementation further reduces tautologies^2, which the example doesn’t. From the example, we’d expect to see :case in the resulting AST (this confusion is what lead me here originally).

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

brianokken
Many tasks_proj/tests directories exist in chapters 2, 3, 5 that have tests that use the custom markers smoke and get, which are not decl...
New
GilWright
Working through the steps (checking that the Info,plist matches exactly), run the demo game and what appears is grey but does not fill th...
New
jesse050717
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, pg 116 Hi - I just started chapter 5 and I am stuck on page 116 while trying to star...
New
swlaschin
The book has the same “Problem space/Solution space” diagram on page 18 as is on page 17. The correct Problem/Solution space diagrams ar...
New
brunogirin
When installing Cards as an editable package, I get the following error: ERROR: File “setup.py” not found. Directory cannot be installe...
New
EdBorn
Title: Agile Web Development with Rails 7: (page 70) I am running windows 11 pro with rails 7.0.3 and ruby 3.1.2p20 (2022-04-12 revision...
New
Keton
When running the program in chapter 8, “Implementing Combat”, the printout Health before attack was never printed so I assumed something ...
New
dtonhofer
@parrt In the context of Chapter 4.3, the grammar Java.g4, meant to parse Java 6 compilation units, no longer passes ANTLR (currently 4....
New
gorkaio
root_layout: {PentoWeb.LayoutView, :root}, This results in the following following error: no “root” html template defined for PentoWeb...
New
SlowburnAZ
Getting an error when installing the dependencies at the start of this chapter: could not compile dependency :exla, "mix compile" failed...
New

Other popular topics Top

DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New

Sub Categories: