CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Linus Torvalds on Rust support in kernel

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 11:46 AM ojeda@kernel.org wrote:

Some of you have noticed the past few weeks and months that
a serious attempt to bring a second language to the kernel was
being forged. We are finally here, with an RFC that adds support
for Rust to the Linux kernel.

So I replied with my reactions to a couple of the individual patches,
but on the whole I don’t hate it.

HOWEVER.

I do think that the “run-time failure panic” is a fundamental issue.

I may not understand the ramifications of when it can happen, so maybe
it’s less of an issue than I think it is, but very fundamentally I
think that if some Rust allocation can cause a panic, this is simply
fundamentally not acceptable.

Allocation failures in a driver or non-core code - and that is by
definition all of any new Rust code - can never EVER validly cause
panics. Same goes for “oh, some case I didn’t test used 128-bit
integers or floating point”.

So if the Rust compiler causes hidden allocations that cannot be
caught and returned as errors, then I seriously think that this whole
approach needs to be entirely NAK’ed, and the Rust infrastructure -
whether at the compiler level or in the kernel wrappers - needs more
work.

So if the panic was just some placeholder for things that can be
caught, then I think that catching code absolutely needs to be
written, and not left as a to-do.

And if the panic situation is some fundamental “this is what the Rust
compiler does for internal allocation failures”, then I think it needs
more than just kernel wrapper work - it needs the Rust compiler to be
fixed.

Because kernel code is different from random user-space system tools.
Running out of memory simply MUST NOT cause an abort. It needs to
just result in an error return.

I don’t know enough about how the out-of-memory situations would be
triggered and caught to actually know whether this is a fundamental
problem or not, so my reaction comes from ignorance, but basically the
rule has to be that there are absolutely zero run-time “panic()”
calls. Unsafe code has to either be caught at compile time, or it has
to be handled dynamically as just a regular error.

With the main point of Rust being safety, there is no way I will ever
accept “panic dynamically” (whether due to out-of-memory or due to
anything else - I also reacted to the “floating point use causes
dynamic panics”) as a feature in the Rust model.

       Linus

https://lkml.org/lkml/2021/4/14/1099

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Where Next?

Popular Linux topics Top

First poster: bot
The Red Hat-sponsored Fedora Project has released its latest Linux distribution, Fedora 33. https://www.techrepublic.com/article/fedora...
New
New
First poster: bot
The Year of the Linux Desktop. The year of the Linux desktop has arrived. This is a guide for how to improve the Linux desktop experienc...
New
First poster: bot
In our previous post, we announced that Android now supports the Rust programming language for developing the OS itself. Related to this,...
New
CommunityNews
As movement toward memory-safe languages, and Rust in particular, continues to grow, it is worth looking at one of the larger scale effor...
New
First poster: kokolegorille
Someone might need to check on Steve Ballmer. Microsoft has developed its own Linux distro, CBL-Mariner, and released it under the open s...
New
First poster: bot
Introduction Linux from scratch (LFS) is a step-by-step tutorial for building your own Linux distribution. Using the LFS approach, you st...
New
First poster: bot
This is a ‘Linux Swiss Army Knife’, offering maximum utility while still being able to fit in your pocket. Is it fast? No. Can it run a G...
New
Eiji
Hi, I have found a helpful video today. Discord is one of the most popular chat apps. However it’s updater on Linux actually causes more ...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New