CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Gnome 40 - The anti-desktop desktop

In a few weeks, Fedora 34 will be released, and alongside it - you will get to use Gnome 40, the next version of this namesake desktop environments. But wait. Gnome 40 has been officially released only a few short days ago, and you can already try it. Ahead of the distro testing season, I thought it would be a neat idea to grab the software and check what awaits the Tux crowds en masse come mid-April. I downloaded the Fedora 34 beta and booted the system.

Going into a review without any expectations or great hope is a good thing for me. My emotional balance will most likely not be upset too much today. After all, for me, Gnome 3 has never delivered. It’s always been sub-optimal, introducing complication and confusion into the classic desktop formula through a strange paradigm of would-be visual minimalism and touch-like inefficiency. More mouse clicks = not fun. I don’t expect miracles. But who knows, I might actually be surprised. Remember, beta version, things could change. Now, let’s proceed. Commence…

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Most Liked

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

I’m definitely a bit biased against gnome so keep that in mind, but that’s because I have really really not enjoyed using it when I do. I even keep trying to use it on occasion as I keep it installed on my computer and give it another try on occasion to see how it evolves. But in short, I really really dislike gnome, all the way up to version 3 is what I’ve tried, we’ll see how 4 goes but based on this article I’m not going to be a fan of it either.

KDE on the other hand, I’m an absolute fan of. Not only is it incredibly lightweight (even lighter than most “lightweight” DE’s), but it’s “Activities” (not to be confused with gnome activities, which is basically just the running/runnable programs) are basically the multi-desktop view well known on X but to a significantly enhanced degree, and it’s amazing to add to your workflow. In addition, the sheer customizability of KDE and it’s ability to change to adapt to anything from huge Desktop views to phone interfaces is unmatched in my opinion thus far.

A fun thing to note, KDE by default is…fairly windows styled, but you can make it look like a mac, like gnome3, like gnome2, like gnome4, like unity, like basically anything else you could near imagine (short of VR interfaces, though that’s being worked on as well by others). It’s configurability is unparalleled by any other DE.

Eiji

Eiji

I have used dozens of Linux distributions and there are no Mac-like defaults at least in the most popular ones. That’s said most up-to-date distributions either share their own dark theme as default or provide Breeze theme. As it was said already KDE/Plasma is highly configurable and you can change everything you want. There are full themes ready to install for Windows and Mac look, so it’s not really that hard to setup it. I guess the biggest thing here may be only keyboard shortcuts which of course you can customize as well.

AstonJ

AstonJ

I wonder which Linux distro/set-up is most Mac-like? If you have any links or vids I’d definitely be interested in taking a look :smiley:

Where Next?

Popular Linux topics Top

First poster: bot
The Red Hat-sponsored Fedora Project has released its latest Linux distribution, Fedora 33. https://www.techrepublic.com/article/fedora...
New
New
First poster: bot
The Year of the Linux Desktop. The year of the Linux desktop has arrived. This is a guide for how to improve the Linux desktop experienc...
New
First poster: bot
In our previous post, we announced that Android now supports the Rust programming language for developing the OS itself. Related to this,...
New
CommunityNews
As movement toward memory-safe languages, and Rust in particular, continues to grow, it is worth looking at one of the larger scale effor...
New
First poster: kokolegorille
Someone might need to check on Steve Ballmer. Microsoft has developed its own Linux distro, CBL-Mariner, and released it under the open s...
New
First poster: bot
Introduction Linux from scratch (LFS) is a step-by-step tutorial for building your own Linux distribution. Using the LFS approach, you st...
New
First poster: bot
This is a ‘Linux Swiss Army Knife’, offering maximum utility while still being able to fit in your pocket. Is it fast? No. Can it run a G...
New
Eiji
Hi, I have found a helpful video today. Discord is one of the most popular chat apps. However it’s updater on Linux actually causes more ...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New