CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Moving from Macbook to Linux

The Year of the Linux Desktop.
The year of the Linux desktop has arrived. This is a guide for how to improve the Linux desktop experience.

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our automated news source trackers.

Most Liked

finner

finner

Fantastic!!
Only just this morning I was having problems connecting my iPhone to my Mac Pro, again! I gave up.
My laptop is a 2015 model and it is still going fine, no physical problems. For the price I paid I expect it to last longer than me !!!
My work laptop is the same model and it experienced the battery bloat issue for that model last year and had to be serviced (free of charge). But for a while now I’ve been thinking the next laptop I buy will be linux based. If possible I’d like to buy it already fully installed, something along the lines of what Dell offers. I have not researched this yet because I hope it will be a few years away yet before I need purchase.
But I wonder if developers continue to be satisfied with their Mac laptops for the price.
Are we going to see a move to the Linux OS? It will be interesting.

finner

finner

very very interesting - I will read those threads then.
I was under the impression that Big Sur was a no no so I’ve been holding off.
thanks @AstonJ

AstonJ

AstonJ

I think we may see the opposite now, with Apple introducing their own silicon :nerd_face: (few more threads here: m1 and apple-silicon)

The only way Apple can mess this up is if they don’t stay on top of privacy issues :man_facepalming:

Having said that, if you do make the jump, you will be in good company (that’s also a good thread with some Linux laptop recommendations) :smiley:

Personally I think this is a great time to be a Mac user, Big Sur is really nice and the new Apple Silicon is looking very promising :blush:

Where Next?

Popular Linux topics Top

First poster: bot
If you’re looking for a solid web-based Linux admin GUI, look no further than the tried and true Webmin. Jack Wallen shows you how to ins...
New
New
First poster: bot
It looks like thanks to AMD’s increasing sales and continuing successes in the enterprise space with more HPC wins and the like, AMD is h...
New
First poster: bot
On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 11:46 AM ojeda@kernel.org wrote: Some of you have noticed the past few weeks and months that a serious attempt...
New
First poster: bot
This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.
New
First poster: bot
Thirty years ago, Linus Torvalds was a 21 year old student at the University of Helsinki when he first released the Linux Kernel. His ann...
New
First poster: bot
Jack Wallen has a bone to pick with cloud services run by Google, Microsoft and Apple. The cloud is run by Linux and open-source. Ther...
New
First poster: bot
In my previous article “Why you should migrate everything from Linux to BSD” part 1 and part 2 I addressed some of the “political issues”...
New
First poster: AstonJ
I’ve had a busy week, so I didn’t have time until today to read this news about Red Hat locking down RHEL sources behind a Red Hat subscr...
New
Eiji
Hi, I have found a helpful video today. Discord is one of the most popular chat apps. However it’s updater on Linux actually causes more ...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New