mattygames

mattygames

I made a browser game with ChatGPT, what do you think?

I created a game that you can play on your phone in your browser. No downloads, no ads, no subscriptions and other nonsense: just click the link and play!

Having little to no programming knowledge, I got to work with ChatGPT and Perplexity. After a lot of back and forth chatting this is the result: ‘empty the grid’. I am very curious what you guys think of it. And your high score of course, so far I can’t get past 32…

https://matty.games/matty6.html

Most Liked

liam69

liam69

i also started my browser game project called sprunkimax, after a few months it took of. The highest ranked game of mine is sprunki 1996

Eiji

Eiji

The game was fun, but there is a few things that may be better:

  1. Even i (writing as a person who have vision problems) can notice a double border CSS issue. There are few ways to fix that … One of them is to use table element together with border-collapse: collapse style.

  2. Consider adding different than body’s default background to cell and maybe few others little CSS changes - the current version looks a bit too plain. Alternatively you can set a different background colour for each cell value. I especially recommend to look for an inspiration in other games like 2048.

  3. Consider some styling for children - I and other people here are fine, but for children it may be more eye-catching if you would use apples and bananas instead of numbers. That’s one of reasons why Fall Guys (for example memory game with fruits) is so popular.

  4. Light/dark mode setting is not persistent - simple refresh resets to default. There are few ways in JavaScript to store settings without a need to change the backend’s code

  5. The main page looks unstyled - I don’t require to write lots of fancy CSS styles, but there are lots of CSS reset samples that you can use like: Barebones: Responsive CSS Boilerplate

Edit: @AstonJ I had no idea that a game title like that may trigger inclusive language message from bot. I’m … sorry? :joy:

mattygames

mattygames

Hi Eiji,

Thank you for your kind suggestions! I will look into 1 and 5. I’m hoping to improve my skills so I can use them to make the game better (looking).

Funny you mention 2048 because one of my earlier versions was made with 2048-like styling! In the end I didn’t want to copy their styling too much…

Your point 3: I hope children will like and play my games and improve their math skills without them knowing they do :wink:

I immediately changed the code so the light/dark mode is persistent now! If you do a hard refresh you will see the result.

Again: thank you so much for your reply and great suggestions!

Where Next?

Popular Game Dev topics Top

AstonJ
Anything stand out for anyone? A few live-streams out there:
New
New
New
New
AtlantiaKing
Watch the trailer here: More info available on our steam page here: Don't Forget on Steam Don’t Forget is a 3D singlepl...
New
RomanStarCoder
(Note: I said this on multiple other forums, but nobody either actually said anything, or the mods don’t approve me. I’m just wondering f...
New
scrut.hut
New game engine needs developers. Language is C++ and designs are complete for the project architecture. Anyone wanting to join a gamed...
New
bozigame
Hello Friends. First of all, I am very happy to share my excitement with you. After months of hard work, I have released my first game. I...
New
AideedGameZ
I make a cafe relax game that is free and WebGL. The challenge is you need to earn as much as possible so you can pay your bills and rent.
New
bboolean
Hello! Here’s a group theory (think Rubik’s Cube) like game I made called Ro. Make boxes rotate, translate, twist, and duplicate so that ...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New