Jsdr3398

Jsdr3398

How much do elixir devs charge?

I really need developers to help create my messaging platform but I’m not sure how much they want etc.

I’ve never hired anyone before :sweat_smile:

Most Liked

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

People asking about how much would you like too early in the interview process should scare you. They don’t care about what you would contribute, they need butts in seats so likely the project you will be working on will be horribly mismanaged and you’ll hate your life every day you are working for this company.

Elixir devs aren’t special in any regard compared to many others. We are in a smaller niche and we are expected to produce a bit more quality than your average JS dev for example – but even that is not guaranteed and hugely depends on the company.

So IMO you should aim at what you would be comfortable with taking home and negotiate on it.

Even as a senior programmer I’ve been having some rather badly paid gigs – but I negotiated down the expected responsibilities and the workload was light so having a sub-optimal payment was OK.


There’s no absolute answer. If you stumble upon a web dev agency full of people from very poor countries then you’d be lucky to get $1000. If you randomly stumble upon an USA financial company they might blow your mind with $10,000. :slight_smile:

Learning to negotiate is crucial.

Eiji

Eiji

Of course salaries may be way different across job offers and in each country. If we talk about professional 40h work then:

  1. USA/Canada - when taking a one Elixir course I asked about a typical salary in their contacts. They said between 50-150 USD per hour (depends on experience) and soon after it they posted a job offer for 250 USD per hour. If we count 2016 working hours in Poland in 2021 it’s around 7-21k EUR (7111.31-21333.94 to be precise)

  2. West Europe - most full-time remote job offers are around 4-6k EUR per month

  3. Poland - when working for Polish company it’s usually between 8-16k PLN (that’s 1728.71-3457.49 in EUR)

Of course the real salary is to negotiate and depends on many things like if it’s a remote job, a contract duration and so on.

@Jsdr3398 If interested we may discuss more details using private messages. :smiling_imp:

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Regardless of the amount you pick, whether you are the interviewer or the interviewee, never give a definite value, always give a possible Range, and try to make it a wide range if you can, but make sure both the start and end are realistic for you.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
AstonJ
I’ve seen more and more people get into Rust recently, so thought it would be cool to have a thread for people to share what they like ab...
New
New
New
First poster: bot
Multicore OCaml: October 2020. Welcome to the October 2020 multicore OCaml report, compiled by @shakthimaan, @kayceesrk and of course my...
New
AstonJ
Inspired by this post by @stefan.jarina, I’m curious about the kind of Bash scripts you’ve written and whether you still use Bash given t...
New
mafinar
I’ll be participating. This would be very interesting because I have been having coders block + a lot of distraction this weekend. But l...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
Reinis
I’ve been diving into Bridgetown (a Jekyll successor) and learning about writing a more maintainable CSS.
New
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New