DevotionGeo

DevotionGeo

What do you use to read Erlang docs?

What do you people do for reading Erlang docs?
Is there something like Ruby’s ri?

I installed manual pages for Erlang under /usr/local/share/man and it works, but entering man erlang shows all the Built-In Functions as one long page and when I press tab after typing man erlang, it asks me if I want to list 22003 items. I don’t think it’s super useful. How do I filter things I need among these many items?

Compare it for example with git’s manual pages. When I press tab after typing man git, it asks me if I want to list 172 items, and when I say yes (press tab again), it shows all the useful things.
How do I use Erlang’s manual pages usefully like that?

Most Liked

Maartz

Maartz

Well as a macOS user, there’s an application which is very good for this and has a plugin with numerous IDE/Text editor: Dash.

Once you’ve downloaded the language doc, for some languages you got access to “docsets”, that’s the case for Elixir/Erlang.

It’s not terminal based, but once downloaded it’s ok to use offline, plus it updates automatically.

IDK if it’s okay to promote something like this here but, since it’s a tool, a cheap one furthermore, I guess there’s no problem.

Maartz

Maartz

I almost forgot to talk about TL;DR, which is a nice terminal based tool, it’s FOSS so you can participate easily.
It’s, you named it, a shorter version of man.
Nice to quickly find something.

DevotionGeo

DevotionGeo

Today I learned that man pages for Erlang are installed by default with the installation of Erlang. You don’t need to install man pages manually, but you need to access it through the erl command with -man flag instead of the man command, for example erl -man lists.
I wish to know how to list all the modules using erl -man command.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

New
CommunityNews
The Magic of Python Context Managers. Recipes for using and creating awesome Python context managers, that will make your code more read...
New
First poster: bot
The Complete AWS Lambda Handbook for Beginners (Part 1). In the first part of our Complete AWS Lambda Handbook for Beginners, we explain...
New
First poster: bot
proposal: Go 2: permit types to say they may only be created by containing package · Issue #43123 · golang/go. It would be useful to per...
New
First poster: bot
Welcome to RETRO, my personal take on the Forth language. This is a modern system primarily targetting desktop, mobile, and servers, th...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
mafinar
We always have fun in this forum around this time of the year, discussing the days’ (or yesterdays’) challenges and talking through solut...
New
Reinis
I’ve been diving into Bridgetown (a Jekyll successor) and learning about writing a more maintainable CSS.
New
lucasvegi
Hello guys! Perhaps some of you have already seen this invitation on other channels in the Elixir community or even responded to our sur...
New
apoorv-2204
I’m experimenting with Hexagonal / Clean Architecture in Elixir. The classic Behaviour + Impl split works great for mocking and isolating...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New