Benjamin-Philip

Benjamin-Philip

How do you learn UI and UX design?

I’m curious about designing some websites and applications for personal (and potentially public via open sourcing) use. I’m an experienced programmer, but I have mostly worked with backends, programming language implementations and lower down the stack.

My question is how do you learn to design any application? I’m not asking about the frameworks or toolkits involved, I am sure I can figure that part out myself. My focus is on learning about the aesthetics and user experience of an application and the process involved in creating that. How do you go about acquiring this skill? What are the first (preferably open/free) resources you would point at?

To start with, I would like to design a theme for my blog, then maybe functionally “rice” my desktop environment and emacs configuration. Finally, I might create (or contribute to) some FOSS applications to solve a personal problem.

Most Liked

gfqdjb

gfqdjb

My question is how do you learn to design any application?

Some people naturally develop the ability to create beautiful things, even if they are not always very usable. The rest of us have to learn it by exposing ourselves to good design and understanding what makes things pleasant to look at and easy to use.

I think something like Refactoring UI by Adam Wathan and Steve Schoger, the creators of Tailwind CSS, is probably what you are looking for. It offers very practical guidelines and recipes for creating beautiful user interfaces.

For learning about UX, I’ve heard great things about the following books, although they might be a bit dense depending on what you are after:

Disclaimer: I am not a designer.

gfqdjb

gfqdjb

Right now Humble Bundle has a bundle with a bunch of design books, including Universal Principles of Design. Thought you might be interested.

ediathome

ediathome

A great website about UX and web/application design is https://www.smashingmagazine.com - they also have a newsletter with great resources.

Where Next?

Popular Frontend topics Top

Zuber
How to make a website like webnovel and wattpadd where subscribers and logged in user post stories like their own Novel in a website and ...
New
The_Exile
I am new to programming. I started reading Eloquent Javascript 3rd Edition, as the book comes highly recommended as a good place for beg...
/js
New
david-j-m
Hi I have a gallery site which displays paintings according to selected category (oils, water-color, etc.) “on:click” event. When this e...
/js
New
harwind
First have a look at the code: function mainfunc(func, par3, par2){ window[func](par3, par2); } function calledfunc(par3, par2){ ...
/js
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have created a fresh Phoenix app using mix phx.new.web web_interface --no-dashboard --no-ecto --no-gettext --no-mailer insid...
New
WiseDan
hi everybody , am new in gsap.js so i wanted load content in my home page when user scrolling , but since am reading the documentation ...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have a custom component in my LiveView, which is basically a group of checkboxes. I want to add a new attribute to my custo...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have Phoenix umbrella application. When inside said application, I can run it without issues if MIX_ENV=prod. However, if I ...
New
hosseinkhosromanesh
hello , i should code a cluster like image bellow we have no challenge in coding backend but in front need some clue to do this its a dy...
/js
New
selamibaba
I maintain a content website built around a fixed domain of 78 unique items. This is the current overview page showing the complete data...
New

Other popular topics Top

DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Programming Ruby is the most complete book on Ruby, covering both the language itself and the standard library as well as commonly used t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New