Ayushk

Ayushk

Front end Developer Skills

Hello,

This is pretty basic. I was trying to explore the front-end development as I was not from a tech background. But, very much interested in learning. I was exploring this Frontend article here

I just wanted to understand if there are any more skills/languages I have to learn in order to get started with this. May be a basic to advanced guide.

Most Liked

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

That’s a good idea, we need a topic here full of wiki-posts to detail variety of frameworks, basic skills needed, etc… etc…

As to that article, I’d definitely say typescript is more important than javascript, as it is javascript but with types to make it not hell to debug.

Learn webpack, it’s basically taken over the ‘frontend builder’ scene. It’s own homepage is decent as a reference, careful of tutorials because it’s changed a lot over the years so you want modern tutorials.

Don’t touch jquery. Don’t touch anything that touches jquery. Jquery is not only no longer relevant it’s actively harmful now. Vanilla JS can do everything it can, and if you want some of its few areas where its actually more succinct then just make your own functions to wrap the vanilla functionality or get one of the better libraries out that are actually fast and not harmful to performance and memory.

SASS and such other CSS preprocessors are basically all replaced now with PostCSS, PostCSS should be the CSS preprocessor used for any new CSS work, don’t touch the older ones anymore unless working on an old project that already uses them.

For CSS learn flexbox and grid css, those are the two modern ways supported by every evergreen browser and they make CSS sooooo much easier than the old methods!

And yes, learn git, not just from a gui, I’m entirely of the thinking that you should learn the cli, and not just the commands but what it does and how it works! Such knowledge you won’t use often, but the few times you will it will save your butt!

And of course test test test, the front-end world has a ton of great testing infrastructure from unit test things to full on virtual browsers to test full functionality.

And don’t forget that firefox/chrome/others have some fantastic debugging and performance tools for CSS, JS, and HTML, learn them and use them!

AstonJ

AstonJ

Another great post ODL! And I agree, it definitely makes for a good wiki topic :smiley:

Could split your post as a starting point if you like - but what to call it? State of Frontend Dev 2021?

jaeyson

jaeyson

I saw similar like frontend masters (2019 frontend handbook)

Where Next?

Popular Frontend topics Top

kokolegorille
Hello everyone, Does anybody uses Web Components in 2020? It’s quite old, but recently it seems to have some kind of revival. I have be...
New
michael
So I have a table of MediaItems and when that list changes, say new entries, I’d like LiveView to know about that so that the Timeline up...
New
New
AstonJ
DHH might like you to believe they are a thing of the past: https://twitter.com/dhh/status/1275902566719610880 I actually went down thi...
New
First poster: bot
Why do ARM chips have an instruction with Javascript in the name (FJCVTZS)?. FJCVTZS is “Floating-point Javascript Convert to Signed fix...
New
First poster: bot
A 3D racing game built with ClojureScript, React and ThreeJS
New
KnowledgeIsPower
Hey, I have migrated by blog from Pelican to Astro (static site generator) Please give comments or feedback, thanks!
New
jaeyson
Hi Elixir and React friends! I read a post (Stephen Bussey - React in LiveView: How and Why?) on use case for reaching react for complex...
New
NKTgLaw
Introduction The NKTg Law on Varying Inertia describes the tendency of an object in motion depending on its position, velocity, and mass...
New
max_alyokhin
I created a web-synthesizer that generates sound from the binary code of any files. It can synthesize sound directly in the browser, or b...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New