mikezx6r

mikezx6r

From Objects to Functions: Testing Tools query P12-17

@uberto

I’ve only begun reading the book, and like what I see. Doing the first Test portion around addition, and wondering if you’ve ever examined Kotest? A Kotlin specific testing framework.
It has been around awhile, and has excellent support, active devs, and a plugin for IntelliJ.

I like it because it leverages Kotlin throughout, has different testing styles to suit your requirements, and preferences, an excellent assertion library (that can be used in isolation), and solid property-based testing, including shrinking.

I really like its assertion style of (x + y) shouldBe 12, and similar. It has a solid selection of assertions. Very close to AssertJ, and the community/developers are quick to respond to inquiries.

I thought I’d pass it along in case you’d never seen it. Well worth investigating IMO.

Looking forward to the rest of the book.

Most Liked

mikezx6r

mikezx6r

Agreed that a lot comes down to personal preference. I did a fair bit with Groovy, and Spock assertions, and really liked the lack of keywords. Kotest assertions comes closest to that for me, hence my.preference for it.

mikezx6r

mikezx6r

I’ve always found Idea does a very good job of figuring out the right suggestions, and keeps getting better all the time.

But definitely use what makes you happiest, and most productive. There’s no shortage of tools to choose from in our industry. All of them with objective pros/cons, and subjective pros/cons.

Really enjoying the design ideas I’m gaining from the book. Also having ‘fun’ with Kotlin, as unfortunately, I don’t get to use it in my day job anymore :frowning:

Working through the early days of the book ‘forced’ me to dig into the inner workings, and code samples. Nothing like digging in to truly learn, and understand the design, and process.

But constructive feedback. Hopefully the technical reviewers will get the examples, and sample code, better working than it was in the early days, or else it will cause a number of people to give up way too early.

I see the source code as a zip. I searched, but didn’t find a repo on Github. Is there a publicly available repo with the source code? I ask as it makes determining what has changed so much easier, and I like to see the evolution. Completely understand if you don’t want to share it, though.

Thanks again, and keep up the good work. I really appreciate it when people take the time to share their ideas.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimschubert
In Chapter 3, the source for index introduces Config on page 31, followed by more code including tests; Config isn’t introduced until pag...
New
New
ianwillie
Hello Brian, I have some problems with running the code in your book. I like the style of the book very much and I have learnt a lot as...
New
jesse050717
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, pg 116 Hi - I just started chapter 5 and I am stuck on page 116 while trying to star...
New
yulkin
your book suggests to use Image.toByteData() to convert image to bytes, however I get the following error: "the getter ‘toByteData’ isn’t...
New
herminiotorres
Hi @Margaret , On page VII the book tells us the example and snippets will be all using Elixir version 1.11 But on page 3 almost the en...
New
AndyDavis3416
@noelrappin Running the webpack dev server, I receive the following warning: ERROR in tsconfig.json TS18003: No inputs were found in c...
New
hazardco
On page 78 the following code appears: <%= link_to ‘Destroy’, product, class: ‘hover:underline’, method: :delete, data: { confirm...
New
akraut
The markup used to display the uploaded image results in a Phoenix.LiveView.HTMLTokenizer.ParseError error. lib/pento_web/live/product_l...
New
EdBorn
Title: Agile Web Development with Rails 7: (page 70) I am running windows 11 pro with rails 7.0.3 and ruby 3.1.2p20 (2022-04-12 revision...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New

Sub Categories: