mvellandi

mvellandi

Exploring Graphs with Elixir: Missing directories (p 100, 105)

Exploring Graphs with Elixir by @tonyhammond

p.100 – Ch 3 > Storing Graphs in the Graph Store > Listing
shows

“iex>​​ ​​list_graphs​
​ 	[..., "default.dot", "IMAGES", ...]”

but (to my recollection) we have not defined this directory yet, either manually or automatically through the shell command in:
p.68 – Ch 2 > Building a Graph Store > Creating a Storage area

I see a reference to this “images” directory later, as a module attribute in NativeGraph.Format
So I manually created it.

Then in
p.105 – Ch 3 > Visualizing Graphs > Rendering with Graph Viz
while creating the water molecule graph, we’re given:

“iex>​​ ​​with​​ ​​{:ok,​​ ​​dot}​​ ​​=​​ ​​Graph.to_dot(g)​​ ​​do​
​ 	​...>​​ ​​write_graph(dot,​​ ​​"dot/h2o.dot"​​)​
​ 	​...>​​ ​​end”

When trying this, I get a File error since the “dot” directory is unavailable. Not sure what I’m missing here, or if the directory is supposed to be automatically created?
I manually created a “dot” directory to make the code work as shown and tested in later pages.

Marked As Solved

tonyhammond

tonyhammond

Author of Exploring Graphs with Elixir

Yes, this was not very clear. These directories are to be added manually.

I added this text on p. 29 in Chapter 2, Building a Graph Store, section Listing:

“And we’ll also want to be able to access graphs and queries within any directories that we may add manually to our store.”

And on p. 47 in Chapter 3. Managing Graphs Natively with Elixir:

“In this case we have manually added an images/ directory.”

And on p. 49:
“And for better graph management note that we’ve manually added the dot/ and images/ directories in our graph store:”

Also I hadn’t been consistent in writing dot files to the dot/ directory. Fixed that too.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

abtin
page 20: … protoc command… I had to additionally run the following go get commands in order to be able to compile protobuf code using go...
New
ianwillie
Hello Brian, I have some problems with running the code in your book. I like the style of the book very much and I have learnt a lot as...
New
jamis
The following is cross-posted from the original Ray Tracer Challenge forum, from a post by garfieldnate. I’m cross-posting it so that the...
New
lirux
Hi Jamis, I think there’s an issue with a test on chapter 6. I own the ebook, version P1.0 Feb. 2019. This test doesn’t pass for me: ...
New
New
AndyDavis3416
@noelrappin Running the webpack dev server, I receive the following warning: ERROR in tsconfig.json TS18003: No inputs were found in c...
New
kolossal
Hi, I need some help, I’m new to rust and was learning through your book. but I got stuck at the last stage of distribution. Whenever I t...
New
Keton
When running the program in chapter 8, “Implementing Combat”, the printout Health before attack was never printed so I assumed something ...
New
ggerico
I got this error when executing the plot files on macOS Ventura 13.0.1 with Python 3.10.8 and matplotlib 3.6.1: programming_ML/code/03_...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
AstonJ
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New

Sub Categories: