CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Emacs DWIM: do what *I* mean

I was a rather puzzled the first time I spotted DWIM in an Emacs interactive command name. Don’t think I remember what the command itself was, but what’s important here is that DWIM stands for do what I mean.

I love DWIM interactive commands. They enable commands to be smarter and thus pack more functionality, without incurring the typical cognitive overhead associated with remembering multiple commands (or key bindings). The Emacs manual does a great job describing DWIM for the comment-dwim command:

The word “dwim” is an acronym for “Do What I Mean”; it indicates that this command can be used for many different jobs relating to comments, depending on the situation where you use it.

Read in full here:

https://xenodium.com/emacs-dwim-do-what-i-mean

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

New
New
First poster: bot
Welcome to the second part of this series aimed to make you a better Vim user! If you have no idea about Vim, you should begin with the f...
New
First poster: bot
At least one Vim trick you might not know • Hillel Wayne. I’ve been using Vim for eight years and am still discovering new things. This...
New
First poster: davearonson
Welcome to the third part of this series aimed to help you unleash a power never seen on Earth using the Almighty Vim. If you don’t under...
New
ankur
Disassembly support, similar to what is there in Visual Studio, would be a great feature to have for low level programming (C, C++), and ...
New
herminiotorres
Someone where use Doom Emacs right now? I like to starting this topic to discuss it and learn a little bit more, not just only the emacs ...
New
First poster: bot
VIM Clutch is a hardware pedal for improved text editing speed for users of the magnificent VIM text editor (1, 2). When the pedal is pre...
New
CommunityNews
I was a rather puzzled the first time I spotted DWIM in an Emacs interactive command name. Don’t think I remember what the command itself...
New
DevotionGeo
I installed Github Copilot (VS Code extension) and signed up for the technical preview three days ago. Yesterday I got the invitation, an...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New