pennychase

pennychase

Effective Haskell: Chapter 5 typos and suggestions

At the end of “Depending on Other Files” (ePub p 153), it says “In the next section you’ll learn the basics of Haskell’s syntax and grammar.” I think this must be left over from before some restructuring took place.

In “Using Qualified Imports” (ePub p. 154): “enhancement to he readability” - he should be the

In “Creating Your Own Modules” (ePub, p.155): “The file should be place directories” should be “The file should be placed in directories” (maybe “placed in a directory structure” or “placed in subdirectories”?). Also should it be pointed out that the relative path should be where the library source dirs is located?

“Effectively Using Modules With Records” (ePub p 156) starts “The first way to fix the problem duplicate records …”. But the approach of uniquely naming the fields by using the record name has already been present. The opening of this section should be reworded to reflect that.

“Writing Documentation and Packaging” (ePub - p. 161) says that we’ll be using stack throughout the book. Is that true, or are we using cabal?

First Post!

RebeccaSkinner

RebeccaSkinner

Author of Effective Haskell

Thank you for these notes, I’m working on incorporating all of this feedback- I really appreciate you taking the time to write this all up!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jon
Some minor things in the paper edition that says “3 2020” on the title page verso, not mentioned in the book’s errata online: p. 186 But...
New
johnp
Running the examples in chapter 5 c under pytest 5.4.1 causes an AttributeError: ‘module’ object has no attribute ‘config’. In particula...
New
ianwillie
Hello Brian, I have some problems with running the code in your book. I like the style of the book very much and I have learnt a lot as...
New
alanq
This isn’t directly about the book contents so maybe not the right forum…but in some of the code apps (e.g. turbo/06) it sends a TURBO_ST...
New
jeremyhuiskamp
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, vB17.0 (p9) The create table guestbook syntax suggested doesn’t seem to be accepted ...
New
adamwoolhether
Is there any place where we can discuss the solutions to some of the exercises? I can figure most of them out, but am having trouble with...
New
tkhobbes
After some hassle, I was able to finally run bin/setup, now I have started the rails server but I get this error message right when I vis...
New
mcpierce
@mfazio23 I’ve applied the changes from Chapter 5 of the book and everything builds correctly and runs. But, when I try to start a game,...
New
dachristenson
I just bought this book to learn about Android development, and I’m already running into a major issue in Ch. 1, p. 20: “Update activity...
New
dachristenson
@mfazio23 Android Studio will not accept anything I do when trying to use the Transformations class, as described on pp. 140-141. Googl...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
New
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New

Sub Categories: