AstonJ

AstonJ

DHH's video preview of Rails 7

And the blog:

Rails has been unapologetically full stack since the beginning. We’ve continuously sought to include ever-more default answers to all the major infrastructure questions posed by modern web development. From talking to a database, to sending and receiving emails, to connecting web sockets, to rendering HTML, to integrating with JavaScript. This full-stack strategy has been key to the success of Rails, but it also remains an enduring source of controversy. What’s too much to include? What’s not enough?

To consistently answer that evergreen question, we look to The Rails Doctrine, and especially the third pillar of The Menu Is Omakase. It’s why we fret so much over the defaults, but also why the option to substitute is so crucial.

There’s been no more fretting over the defaults, or a closer examination of the substitutes, than with the JavaScript part of the question over the years. And especially lately, as the ever-present churn and fundamental change has pushed new options into the limelight. But after much experimentation, I believe we now have a solid answer for Rails 7.

  • Rails 7 will default to import-mapped Hotwire
  • Rails 7 has full support for traditional JS bundling
  • Rails 7 will have three clear choices for JavaScript

Read in full here:

I’m glad they’re simplifying JS and moving to esbuild too (as is Phoenix) :023:

Most Liked

adamaiken89

adamaiken89

I am looking forward to seeing the full integration of Hotwire and importmap.
Those components have changed a lot in file arrangement.

Finalizing the set up would help reducing the long term maintenance in the future.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

New
DevotionGeo
For me it’s the semicolon, because I stopped using a semicolon in JavaScript, two other of my favorite languages, Elixir and Go don’t hav...
New
First poster: bot
The Complete AWS Lambda Handbook for Beginners (Part 1). In the first part of our Complete AWS Lambda Handbook for Beginners, we explain...
New
First poster: bot
proposal: Go 2: permit types to say they may only be created by containing package · Issue #43123 · golang/go. It would be useful to per...
New
mafinar
So I was thinking of trying out Crystal, I had tried it multiple times but left it midway. Now that there’s a book on it and it’s version...
New
OvermindDL1
Woooooooo! This is such a huge release for it, and 2 years incoming! In short, the library is now using an updated hyper backend (not j...
New
mafinar
I did not add this to a “this weekend I’ll learn” like my few other journals as I am decided on using this in the long term. Last I work...
New
New
almokhtar
Howdy, folks i have this question about it is ok to learn two different programming languages same time, well my story is i joined a comp...
New
lucasvegi
Hello guys! Perhaps some of you have already seen this invitation on other channels in the Elixir community or even responded to our surv...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New