DevotionGeo

DevotionGeo

Manual Memory Management in Go using jemalloc

How Dgraph was running out of memory for some users, and how Go’s Garbage collector wasn’t enough, and Dgraph team used jemalloc to manage memory manually, which is a kind of hack.

I have read a ton about the strengths of Go’s garbage collector and how it’s getting better with time. Including the post, Getting to Go: The Journey of Go’s Garbage Collector from the Go blog.

Does the above post mean Go’s garbage collector isn’t as strong as they say?

First Post!

AstonJ

AstonJ

The article that just got posted here mentions memory management in Go DG, think you might find it interesting:

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

New
DevotionGeo
Some time ago I read somewhere that Rocket will work with stable versions of Rust. The previous version’s changelog says, “Core: Removed...
New
New
New
AstonJ
Inspired by this post by @stefan.jarina, I’m curious about the kind of Bash scripts you’ve written and whether you still use Bash given t...
New
mafinar
I’ll be participating. This would be very interesting because I have been having coders block + a lot of distraction this weekend. But l...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
lucasvegi
Hello guys! Perhaps some of you have already seen this invitation on other channels in the Elixir community or even responded to our surv...
New
mafinar
Hello! Advent of Year 2023 is upon us and like past few years, I’ll be opening threads discussing each year’s problems. Day 1 was today....
New
lucasvegi
Hello guys! Perhaps some of you have already seen this invitation on other channels in the Elixir community or even responded to our sur...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New