mafinar

mafinar

A little weekend learning: Trying out Tailwind

I (re-)realized I had the book “Modern CSS with Tailwind” bought, never read a page of it until today. With me being a fast reader and this book being 90 page in size, I skimmed through the book fairly quickly.

Tailwind never was convincing to me, from the definition of it, it felt very counter productive. My friends who used it and this book made good enough case for me to actually take it for a spin and see for myself. I actually had a project for this. A Covid19 dashboard I created last year, where I used the CSS framework I love the most- Bulma. Let’s use Tailwind on it to see how it feels like!

Most Liked

mafinar

mafinar

Step 1 - Tabula Rasa

… as far as CSS is concerned! After creating a new branch, I removed all the design and existing CSS framework so that the UI looked from…

to a much more beautifully designed…

^this.

The charts and maps are still the same and will remain so even after the experiment. I do intend to change those too but that is another day’s tale to tell.

Okay, so got my clean slate, now let’s get on with the experimentation!

Note: The system is entirely functional. It just looks a little pale that’s all.

mafinar

mafinar

Step 1.1 Setting up Tailwind

I used this link to setup Tailwind. This commit has this. I also read the book on this chapter but this being a LiveView project I needed a more tailored tutorial. I did use the example given in the book to try out moving and enlarging some titles on the card, they worked (I didn’t commit them because they don’t look good in my particular case).

Interesting things, I went all heroic and modern and what not and decided to NOT use the @4.2 while installing css-loader (The article recommends it, the book doesn’t concern itself with css-loader in its introductory chapter), and was yelled at by the compiler through error messages, using version 4.2 helped. I’m in too much of a hurry to afford not knowing why.

Another thing, VS Code is showing Unknown at rule @tailwindscss(unknownAtRules) on @tailwind directive and while my OCD makes me want to fix it, I can afford not caring for today at least. It’s inconsequential.

So, it works, I brought back my theme.scss and colors.scss and removed Bulma specific variables. Awesome! I can see the font changing and the overall UI changing.

I am not a designer, I am not even design-minded, so it’s more than expected that whatever I do here will suck. Hopefully, it will be better than the first screenshot, since I have matured compared to a year ago (or I’d like to think). But I will not hurt any readers eyes with sharing screenshots at each stage unless there is a noteworthy design change or an aha moment! This time, it just knows Tailwind classes, nothing more, so no screenshots :slight_smile:

mafinar

mafinar

Woke up and took a look into my code. And decided to end this experiment with TailwindCSS and keep this branch as it is, a branch :slight_smile:

There are several things I observed that made me realize TailwindCSS is not for me:

  1. In the wild, when I looked into the examples, very few of them used @apply and most of the examples hurt my eyes plenty. Like the following example:
            <button class="text-base  rounded-l-none border-l-0  hover:scale-110 focus:outline-none flex justify-center px-4 py-2 rounded font-bold cursor-pointer 
        hover:bg-teal-200  
        bg-teal-100 
        text-teal-700 
        border duration-200 ease-in-out 
        border-teal-600 transition">
                <div class="flex leading-5">Next
                </div>
            </button>

I could have done it in CSS too. I already knew about border-radius, and I will need to keep that knowledge in my brain because it’s the framework independent way, however, now I need to keep rounded-*-* in my head. Multiply that by almost all the other properties.

  1. Even if I carefully apply things and get myself free from the overcrowded class situation, I will end up inventing my own way of doing and naming things, which may waste time in cases where I probably would be better off with sensible defaults and override when necessary, or just use CSS classes with CSS properties.

  2. If I am to prototype things where good semantics may not matter, I wouldn’t still use it because I have OCD about code organization and I won’t be able to sleep at night with it, getting back to point 2.

  3. In a team environment, there runs a risk of a case of “escaped applies”, a hard to debug situation where there was a card-image px-4 py-2 rounded left out unintended

  4. It’s slow to compile, probably I am missing some tool or steps but there you go, more tools, more fatigue.

So from my experiment, Tailwind does not teach me anything notable enough to go on with it. Maybe I am old fashioned and maybe I am not a front-end developer which makes me not get a few of its merits, but I will happily go back to the way I did things before :slight_smile:

Please read all of the above with a huge “In my opinion” in mind

Also, I have read this article and I agree with most of what’s mentioned here:

Where Next?

Popular Frontend topics Top

malloryerik
Any thoughts on Svelte? Svelte is a radical new approach to building user interfaces. Whereas traditional frameworks like React and Vue...
New
michael
So I have a table of MediaItems and when that list changes, say new entries, I’d like LiveView to know about that so that the Timeline up...
New
MikhailPertsev
Finally, I am going to enhance my css skills! I have always somehow ignored this, but now I finally decided to understand animations, tr...
New
mrmurphy
The situation Hi there! I’m working on a live view app right now that encrypts sensitive user content (text and images) using the browser...
New
pippo12
Hello, I hope you have some tips for me. I am looking for further education including certificates (or similar) which are also accepted ...
New
mafinar
Just like I did one on Tailwind some time ago, I am going to play with AlpineJS the next few days. It’s a nice little JS framework that ...
New
ClaudiaGiv
Hi all, I recently started working with Svelte and created a small app with SvelteKit in order to understand better the framework. I hav...
New
New
guaip
I’ve been doing front-end as a freelancer for 15 years. I have some PHP background and still do some backend stuff to this day, but I spe...
New
NKTgLaw
Introduction The NKTg Law on Varying Inertia describes the tendency of an object in motion depending on its position, velocity, and mass...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New