CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Why I don't like Tailwind CSS

You’re at a restaurant, and there’s an odd item on the menu that you’ve never heard of before, but it piques your interest. It sounds like it might be worth a try, though you’re not sure.

When the waiter approaches your table, you inquire about the dish; he notes that while most people are initially repulsed by its appearance, they should still give it a try because the chef swears that it’s supremely delicious. So, trusting his judgment, you order the dish and wait.

When your meal arrives, it looks just as unpleasant as it did in the menu. But you’re not one to judge—you’re willing to try new things. You carve into a slice of it and take a reluctant bite. And… well, it’s really not that great.

In a nutshell, this was my experience with Tailwind CSS. It’s not the worst thing to happen to CSS, but it’s certainly not the panacea that its supporters claim it is—and, in fact, it has a lot of problems…

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Most Liked

alanq

alanq

Interesting article, some well made points but it only confirms to me that Tailwind probably is the right approach for me.

Every single approach has a trade off, and that can be presented as a criticism. But that doesn’t mean it might still not be the best approach available. Are the alternatives, whose trade offs aren’t touched on in this article, really better for a particular use case?

Maybe it’s just me, but my HTML is a bit ugly and not very readable anyway. It doesn’t feel like much of a sacrifice to have more, and initially obscure looking, html classes in it.

An example of a criticism from the article that is actually a plus for me:

you’re lying to yourself if you think this is any better than writing CSS directly, or any more maintainable than directly applying inline styles. Because instead of repeating styles in your CSS, you’re now repeating them in your HTML, through class names. In fact, you’re likely repeating yourself three, four, possibly many more times now because you can’t chain selectors.

In my workflow, NOT having to open up a CSS file at all, being able to specify the presentation directly inline inside the view template, is a huge win and avoids disrupting my train of thought. It is massively better than writing CSS directly, for me.
And I can easily use helper methods to DRY up commonly repeated sets of classes (with Ruby on Rails view helpers in my case).

Opinionated is great, but this article reads quite biased to be honest. Just a warning to anyone who reads the snippet without reading the full article and considering for themselves whether alternatives really would be better.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I had almost the same thoughts reading it. I was like: “wait… putting style class names inside HTML is a bad thing?” WTF? I always did it like this – I am not a frontender and I only occasionally need to write HTML+CSS (mostly for hobby projects) and to me that’s actually a good thing. As you said, less interruptions.

I’d be open to something like LESS / SASS / SCSS as well though. But IMO for most small projects any of those would be a total overkill.

malloryerik

malloryerik

I’m personally liking Tailwind. My own pain points with it (minor pain, more like aches or itches…) are around stuff like combining Tailwind’s versions of CSS Grid and Flexbox which I already don’t use frequently enough to remember without constantly checking the docs, but which require enough understanding that now I’m checking two sets of docs instead of one.

Ah, this looks nice:

Where Next?

Popular Frontend topics Top

New
First poster: bot
The Zen of index.html. Web development has become a very complex field with many branches and tools to master. In this article, I sugges...
New
First poster: bot
How I built a telnet chat server in 2021 with WebAssembly. I love the aesthetics of terminals and I’m not the only one, there is a whole...
New
First poster: bot
Just one year before the first web page went live in 1991, Microsoft began shipping perhaps the most well-known icon font, Wingdings. How...
New
First poster: dyowee
The key reason why you (and likely most developers) struggle with CSS, is that you underestimate it. Underestimating CSS leads to a stra...
New
First poster: bot
Implementing an app redesign is never routine nor easy. Two weeks after I was hired at Polytomic, I began implementing the app’s first re...
New
First poster: bot
Since the Humio web client is built in Elm, I’d like to share some of our learnings with Elm over the years. Specifically, working with U...
New
First poster: bot
Star Wars Scene Transition Effects in CSS. You know those wipe transitions between scenes in Star Wars movies? Have you ever thought it ...
New
sundi
Learn to customize the Error HTML module in Phoenix LiveView, while enhancing the UX and retaining the typed URLs on branded 404 pages. ...
New
rushilbhuptani
Introduction Dark mode is one of the most popular UI options in the current applications. It will offer less eyewear, enhanced battery li...
#ui
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New