CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Stop Using Icon Fonts

Just one year before the first web page went live in 1991, Microsoft began shipping perhaps the most well-known icon font, Wingdings. However, it would be nearly 22 years later before icon fonts would become a design trend on the internet.

The introduction of the @font-face CSS at-rule allowed web designers to specify custom fonts with which to display text. By 2011, all major browsers supported it. This gave birth to the idea that fonts composed of pictograms, like Wingdings, could be used in place of raster images on the web. Considering that real SVG support across all major browsers didn’t become stable until early 2020, icon fonts were the defacto way to add vector-based icons on your web site.

But icon fonts on the web were fundamentally flawed from the beginning. And now, with full SVG support at our disposal, it’s time to put a stop to their use, once and for all…

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Where Next?

Popular Frontend topics Top

New
First poster: bot
PDF documents are a major part of our digital lives and, in an era where we spend most of our time working inside a web browser, enhancin...
New
First poster: bot
Decided to write this blog post because I couldn’t find any documentation or online examples like the one I’m sharing here. Every example...
New
First poster: bot
Hey! We’re getting really close to releasing React + Vue support for Tailwind UI, so I thought it would be interesting to share some of t...
New
First poster: bot
This guide is intended to cover everything you need to know about creating, manipulating and comparing strings in JavaScript. Extra tips...
New
First poster: bot
If you are a long-time React user, you might be wondering for the past few years about when Concurrent Mode/Suspense will ship. The plans...
New
First poster: AstonJ
;; This is an animated & interactive guide to ;; building a game in ClojureScript, because ;; I find the design patterns very intere...
New
brainlid
In episode 59 of Thinking Elixir, we talk with Joel Kemp about his experience introducing Elixir at Spotify. We learn about the concurren...
New
First poster: bot
Recently Tom MacWright has written a few posts on Single Page Applications and their discontents: Second-guessing the modern web If not...
New
szajbus
Monaco is state-of-the-art browser-based code editor that powers VS Code. Let’s see how to integrate it with Phoenix LiveView using esbuild.
New

Other popular topics Top

brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New