brentjanderson

brentjanderson

What's the most complex project you have worked on?

I’ve never worked at a huge tech company, so the scale and scope of projects I’ve worked on has been much smaller. On the side-project side of things, I’ve been building something in Elixir using Event Sourcing. I don’t consider it incredibly complex, but it was definitely a matter of scratching the itch to play with the technology rather than solving a specific business problem.

Most Liked

hauleth

hauleth

Electronic Heart Record system for Nigerian institutions as a project lead. These things are hell of complications.

mafinar

mafinar

Worked on a Fleet Management System back in 2009, in Bangladesh. Both the tracking devices and map was created in-house. I was responsible for the map design (Mapnik), GPS Server (Netty), and the web application (full-stack), I would call it complex because we had to make some really interesting (at times impractical) reports, enriched the system with some cool abilities (stopping the car with an SMS, locking the door etc), and an interesting GeoFence system. Also, it was my first “real” job.

Well at least that system I helped build survived till 2013 and served ~10k vehicles before being completely rewritten, and it’s going great now I heard (as I tried selling Elixir to the CEO and got him learning it at least). Both the in-house members (device and map) were shelved :slight_smile:

AstonJ

AstonJ

Mine is an e-commerce app with an elaborate referral scheme, however I think the most pita type of apps (or part of an app) has been those where you are working with external APIs or services! You can’t just simply test things in the console as the result may vary depending on the service you are working with :man_facepalming: although maybe not quite direct complexity but definitely makes it feel that way :laughing:

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
AstonJ
Which screen resolutions do you frequently use? Note: not the resolution the display is capable of mind, but the resolution you’re using...
New
AstonJ
Want to plug where you work? Here’s your chance! Perhaps you could also mention what kind of stuff you’re working on? :nerd_face:
New
chasekaylee
Hi there! I have some old Bose in ear noise cancelling headphones that have worked like a champ for the past 3 years and was maybe due fo...
New
AstonJ
Just been adding some more portals, currently have the following languages: Apache Groovy C C# C++ Clojure CoffeeScript Crystal ...
New
Exadra37
I am a Linux user since 2012, more or less, and I always use Ubuntu on my computers, and my last 2 laptops have been used Thinkpads, wher...
New
Rainer
Not sure if following fits exactly this thread, or if we should have a hobby thread… For many years I’m designing and building model air...
New
dwaynebradley
In their weekly newsletter, Jared Santo from the Changelog shared this blog post by Mark Ericksen over at fly.io: What is really inter...
New
malloryerik
With 100% less blockchain. I went searching for a lightweight immutable database that could be audited and ran into this. I guess this ...
New
DevotionGeo
Amazon CodeWhisperer is an alternative to GitHub Copilot, and it’s free!
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New