stevenfalco
Tmux 3: paste-command not recognized (pg 59)
I am attempting to use the commands at the top of page 59 of the beta 3.0 version of the tmux 3 book.
I get an error on this line:
set -g paste-command "xclip -sel clip -o"'
The error message is:
invalid option: paste-command
I looked at the manual page and while the copy-command is listed, there is no listing for the paste-command so it appears that that command doesn’t exist.
I am using Fedora 41 which provides tmux version 3.5a. I think that is the most recent version of tmux.
Please let me know if there is a revised command that takes the place of paste-command.
Marked As Solved
bphogan
Author of Build Websites with Hugo (and 4 other titles)
Hi @stevenfalco. Thanks for raising this. It looks like I goofed and an old version of the file made its way into the book. ![]()
It’s supposed to use @ variables, not the commands themselves.
Does this work for you?
# Detect the display server protocol and set clipboard commands
if-shell '[ "$XDG_SESSION_TYPE" = "wayland" ]' \
'set -g @copy_command "wl-copy"; \
set -g @paste_command "wl-paste -n"' \
'set -g @copy_command "xclip -sel clip -i"; \
set -g @paste_command "xclip -sel clip -o"'
# Prefix Ctrl-C takes what's in the buffer and sends it to system clipboard
# via the command stored in the variable.
bind C-c run-shell 'tmux save-buffer - | #{@copy_command}'
# y in copy mode takes selection and sends it to system clipboard via the
# command stored in the variable.
bind -T copy-mode-vi y send-keys -X copy-pipe-and-cancel "#{@copy_command}"
# Prefix Ctrl-v fills tmux buffer from system clipboard, then
# pastes from buffer into tmux window
bind C-v run-shell '#{@paste_command} | tmux load-buffer - \; paste-buffer'
Also Liked
stevenfalco
Yes - that version works.
Thanks!
1
Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics
Many tasks_proj/tests directories exist in chapters 2, 3, 5 that have tests that use the custom markers smoke and get, which are not decl...
New
Hi @Margaret ,
On page VII the book tells us the example and snippets will be all using Elixir version 1.11
But on page 3 almost the en...
New
Hi @venkats,
It has been mentioned in the description of ‘Supervisory Job’ title that 2 things as mentioned below result in the same eff...
New
Title: Intuitive Python: docker run… denied error (page 2)
Attempted to run the docker command in both CLI and Powershell
PS C:\Users\r...
New
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, vB17.0 (p9)
The create table guestbook syntax suggested doesn’t seem to be accepted ...
New
A Common-Sense Guide to Data Structures and Algorithms, Second Edition by Jay Wengrow @jaywengrow
Hi,
I have the paperback version of t...
New
The book has the same “Problem space/Solution space” diagram on page 18 as is on page 17. The correct Problem/Solution space diagrams ar...
New
The allprojects block listed on page 245 produces the following error when syncing gradle:
“org.gradle.api.GradleScriptException: A prob...
New
Hi, I’m working on the Chapter 8 of the book.
After I add add the point_offset, I’m still able to see acne:
In the image above, I re...
New
@parrt
In the context of Chapter 4.3, the grammar Java.g4, meant to parse Java 6 compilation units, no longer passes ANTLR (currently 4....
New
Other popular topics
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
New
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting:
asdf install erlang 23.1.2
Configure failed.
checking ...
New
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me.
I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart:
A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON
When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
New
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply…
File > New Rule:
And select Deny, O...
New
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices.
Neil Smyth
MySQL...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Popular Portals
- /elixir
- /rust
- /wasm
- /ruby
- /erlang
- /phoenix
- /keyboards
- /python
- /js
- /rails
- /security
- /go
- /swift
- /vim
- /java
- /clojure
- /typescript
- /emacs
- /haskell
- /svelte
- /onivim
- /kotlin
- /react
- /c-plus-plus
- /crystal
- /tailwind
- /gleam
- /ocaml
- /elm
- /vscode
- /flutter
- /html
- /ash
- /deepseek
- /zig
- /opensuse
- /centos
- /php
- /scala
- /react-native
- /lisp
- /textmate
- /sublime-text
- /nixos
- /debian
- /agda
- /deno
- /django
- /kubuntu
- /arch-linux
- /nodejs
- /ubuntu
- /spring
- /revery
- /manjaro
- /julia
- /quarkus
- /lua
- /diversity
- /markdown









