steve_0

steve_0

Q1- Moving from cross platform app development to native iOS development

I am a react native developer and now, I want to upskill myself to become a native iOS developer.

I have already started learning the basics of swift- syntax and how it works by installing swift and swift extension in vs code on my windows system. Now, I want to move to app development but it requires xCode which works only on macOS.

Since I am a windows user and more familiar with VS code, is there any way through which I can do iOS development with VS code only?

Most Liked

steve_0

steve_0

Hey, thank you for your reply. I’ve figured out a method to install xcode on my PC, and I’ll code on VS Code and for compiling and debugging use xcode. I also have checked the services that you mentioned here, but they are looking expensive to me and I’ll need it for a long time.

the_kk

the_kk

I don’t think you can do everything on VS Code, although you can write code on VS Code, but for compiling and debugging, you need Xcode. You can use cloud services like macincloud to do this or you can also consider buying an old m1 mac.

DevotionGeo

DevotionGeo

Tell us about your experience. I’ve been in a similar situation myself. I loved Linux and did all my development on it, but I also wanted to use Xcode, and there was no way to run it on Linux. At the time, I had an old Mac that I used occasionally, and I wished I could run Xcode on my main Linux machine.

Where Next?

Popular Ios topics Top

AstonJ
How did they do? Any tips? I’m personally itching to do an iOS app and I’m sure many others will be equally interested in hearing your t...
New
AstonJ
New A14 chip, first 5nm chip in a mainstream device… In the space race that is CPU and GPU improvements, this is a groundbreaking st...
New
bot
Learn about iOS 14’s new group messaging features that make long conversations easier to manage with threads and how to add more personal...
New
bot
Apple’s Swift has far-reaching effects on all platforms, not just iOS, OS X, watchOS, and tvOS. Learn why Swift matters, how to use the p...
New
New
First poster: bot
Apps on all of Apple’s app stores will now have to reveal what data they collect and what it is used for. Ultimately if the user is un...
New
backslash-f
And I wrote a review of it. Great job, @Paradox927! It’s a huge topic, but you did great IMO. I really enjoyed it. :+1:t2:
New
AstonJ
Doesn’t have to be for coding, but just apps you’ve found useful; :smiley: I think this is great: The thing I like most about it is h...
New
RustemAqtau
How to convert time recurrence(daily, weekly, monthly, etc) to Rrule format and send to backend? Ex: "rrule": "FREQ=WEEKLY;BYDAY=MO,TU,W...
New
steve_0
I am a react native developer and now, I want to upskill myself to become a native iOS developer. I have already started learning the ba...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New