BernardK

BernardK

Programming Ruby 3.2 (5th Edition): B4.0 many places, require "name" or require name

@noelrappin

Many places have require “name”, other require name. If you want to have the same style everywhere, the following pages are concerned :

+++++ NOT page 117, last paragraph, When you require BigDecimal, which is OK because require is in the normal font

+++++ page 253, first line after the green Info :

Now the gem is ready to be used, which means that any Ruby program can require rspec and
                                                                -----> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

+++++ page 256, last paragraph, first and second to last line :

Alternately, inside your code, before you use any gems, you can require bundler/setup, which
                                                         -----> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
...
exec code that also has a require bundler/setup that’s fine, the management work will only be
                   -----> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

+++++ page 257, fourth paragraph from bottom, two first lines :

Be default, when you engage Bundler via Bundler.require or require bundler/setup each gem will
                                                    -----> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
be autoloaded under the name of the gem. In other words, gem rspec implies require rspec.
                                                                    -----> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

+++++ page 261, second paragraph, two times with mistake (bundle instead of bundler) :

`require': cannot load such file -- bundle/setup (LoadError)
Did you mean?  bundler/setup
`require': cannot load such file -- bundle (LoadError)
Did you mean?  bundler

Shoul be : … rather than require “bundler/setup”, you just require
“bundler” …

+++++ page 292, first paragraph, lines 2-3 :

There is the jj method, which you need to require json to have access to, and which creates
                                   -----> ^^^^^^^^^^^^
pretty-printed JSON. It also has y, which comes when you require yaml and produces the
                                                  -----> ^^^^^^^^^^^^

+++++ page 293, second paragraph, lines 1 + 3 :

Alternately, you can use require debug/open in the background process, which allows you to
                  -----> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
the first line; if you want the program to run normally, use require debug/open_nonstop. How
                                                      -----> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

+++++ page 296, in Pry, fourth paragraph, lines 2-3 :

that with the same code we used for the debugger earlier, just replacing require debug with
                                                                  -----> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
require pry and the binding.break call with binding.pry, we get this:
^^^^^^^^^^^ <-----

+++++ page 497, paragraph 3, line 3, already mentioned in a previous post
+++++ page 507, in BigDecimal, fourth paragraph from bottom, first line, as mentioned in the previous post

+++++ page 509, second to last paragraph, line 3 :

The formatter module, which gets mixed in with require random/formatter, gives you a set of
                                        -----> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

+++++ page 510, second paragraph after code, first line :

With the line require random/formatter, you get a number of useful methods mixed in to Random.
       -----> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

+++++ page 567, in FileUtils, second paragraph, first line :

To use these methods, you need to require fileutils. All the methods here are defined as module
                           -----> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

+++++ page 639, last paragraph, lines 1-2 :

When using JRuby, you can import any Java library in your Java class path. If you add require
java to your file
^^^^ <----- "java"

First Post!

noelrappin

noelrappin

Author of Modern Front-End Development for Rails

This is a great catch and I very much appreciate it

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

GilWright
Working through the steps (checking that the Info,plist matches exactly), run the demo game and what appears is grey but does not fill th...
New
Alexandr
Hi everyone! There is an error on the page 71 in the book “Programming machine learning from coding to depp learning” P. Perrotta. You c...
New
simonpeter
When I try the command to create a pair of migration files I get an error. user=&gt; (create-migration "guestbook") Execution error (Ill...
New
rmurray10127
Title: Intuitive Python: docker run… denied error (page 2) Attempted to run the docker command in both CLI and Powershell PS C:\Users\r...
New
jskubick
I think I might have found a problem involving SwitchCompat, thumbTint, and trackTint. As entered, the SwitchCompat changes color to hol...
New
jskubick
I’m under the impression that when the reader gets to page 136 (“View Data with the Database Inspector”), the code SHOULD be able to buil...
New
adamwoolhether
I’m not quite sure what’s going on here, but I’m unable to have to containers successfully complete the Readiness/Liveness checks. I’m im...
New
kolossal
Hi, I need some help, I’m new to rust and was learning through your book. but I got stuck at the last stage of distribution. Whenever I t...
New
jwandekoken
Book: Programming Phoenix LiveView, page 142 (157/378), file lib/pento_web/live/product_live/form_component.ex, in the function below: d...
New
dtonhofer
@parrt In the context of Chapter 4.3, the grammar Java.g4, meant to parse Java 6 compilation units, no longer passes ANTLR (currently 4....
New

Other popular topics Top

dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New

Sub Categories: