CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Old CSS, New CSS (2020)

I first got into web design/development in the late 90s, and only as I type this sentence do I realize how long ago that was.

And boy, it was horrendous. I mean, being able to make stuff and put it online where other people could see it was pretty slick, but we did not have very much to work with.

I’ve been taking for granted that most folks doing web stuff still remember those days, or at least the decade that followed, but I think that assumption might be a wee bit out of date. Some time ago I encountered a tweet marvelling at what we had to do without border-radius. I still remember waiting with bated breath for it to be unprefixed!

But then, I suspect I also know a number of folks who only tried web design in the old days, and assume nothing about it has changed since.

I’m here to tell all of you to get off my lawn. Here’s a history of CSS and web design, as I remember it.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Where Next?

Popular Frontend topics Top

First poster: bot
Two ways you can take advantage of types in JavaScript (without TypeScript) - The Blinking Caret. This blog post describes how you can e...
New
New
First poster: bot
Stork Turns One: Building a search tool for static sites with Rust and WebAssembly • jameslittle.me. Stork, my web search side project, ...
New
First poster: bot
Choosing a language to replace Javascript (and why it’s F#). This is an opinion piece. YMMV Once in a while, I start a side project who...
New
First poster: bot
VanillaJS v. jQuery v. hyperscript Below are comparisons of how to implement various common UI patterns in vanilla javascript, jQuery an...
New
First poster: bot
View in full here: https://kryogenix.org/code/browser/everyonehasjs.html This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our ne...
/js
New
First poster: bot
Let’s build a fully functioning and settable “analog” clock with CSS custom properties and the calc() function. Then we’ll convert it int...
New
First poster: bot
Hey there, you probably tried to animate some HTML elements in your time using transitions, transforms, and animations in the CSS. I trie...
New
AstonJ
I can’t remember who was asking about CSS tuts now… but these just showed up on my YouTube feed and look pretty good/up to date :023:
New
First poster: OvermindDL1
I have to admit: as I’ve watched Tailwind enthusiastically adopted by more and more of the frontend community, I’ve remained skeptical. B...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New