CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Is WebAssembly magic performance pixie dust?

Add WebAssembly, get performance. Is that how it really works?

The incredibly unsatisfying answer is: It depends. It depends on oh-so-many factors, and I’ll be touching on some of them here.

I really like AssemblyScript (full disclosure: I am one of their backers). It’s a very young language with a small but passionate team that built a custom compiler for a TypeScript-like language targeting WebAssembly. The reason I like AssemblyScript (or ASC for short) is because it allows the average web developer to make use of WebAssembly without having to learn a potentially new language like C++ or Rust. It’s important to note that the language is TypeScript-like. Don’t expect your existing TypeScript code to just compile out of the box. That being said, the language is intentionally mirroring the behaviors and semantics of TypeScript (and therefore JavaScript), which means that the act of “porting” TypeScript to AssemblyScript are often mostly cosmetic, usually just adding type annotations.

I always wondered if there is anything to gain from taking a piece of JavaScript, turning it into AssemblyScript and compiling it to WebAssembly. When my colleague Ingvar sent me a piece of JavaScript code to blur images, I thought that this would be a perfect case study. I ran a quick experiment to see if it’s worth doing a deeper exploration into porting JavaScript to AssemblyScript. And oh boy was it worth it. This article is that deeper exploration.

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Where Next?

Popular Frontend topics Top

First poster: bot
A beginner’s guide to developing with React. React is a JavaScript user interface (UI) library that was built and is maintained by Faceb...
New
First poster: PaigePalmer
Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) are starting to get some attention. For instance, Amazon is using it for game streaming service on iOS. PWAs ...
New
First poster: bot
The No-Framework Framework: JavaScript Without React Part I. How I improved my programming speed by replacing React with plain JavaScrip...
New
First poster: bot
Decided to write this blog post because I couldn’t find any documentation or online examples like the one I’m sharing here. Every example...
New
First poster: bot
Add WebAssembly, get performance. Is that how it really works? The incredibly unsatisfying answer is: It depends. It depends on oh-so-ma...
New
First poster: bot
VanillaJS v. jQuery v. hyperscript Below are comparisons of how to implement various common UI patterns in vanilla javascript, jQuery an...
New
First poster: bot
User-preference based media features, container queries, and media queries for new screen types, such as foldable screens, will enable us...
New
First poster: bot
I first got into web design/development in the late 90s, and only as I type this sentence do I realize how long ago that was. And boy, i...
New
First poster: OvermindDL1
I have to admit: as I’ve watched Tailwind enthusiastically adopted by more and more of the frontend community, I’ve remained skeptical. B...
New
ragamuf
I wrote a handy little Mix task to automatically register your Stimulus javascript controllers when using esBuild with Phoenix. It is sim...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New