CommunityNews

CommunityNews

My favorite Erlang Program (Joe Armstrong / 2013)

The other day I got a mail from Dean Galvin from Rowan University. Dean was doing an Erlang project so he asked “What example program would best exemplify Erlang”.

He wanted a small program, that would be suitable for a ten minute talk that would best show off the language. I thought for a while … and quickly wrote my favorite program, it’s the “Universal server”.

The Universal Server

Normally servers do something. An HTTP server responds to HTTP requests and FTP server responds to FTP request and so on. But what about a Universal Server? surely we can generalize the idea of a server and make a universal server that which we can later tell to become a specific sever.

Read in full here:

https://joearms.github.io/published/2013-11-21-My-favorite-erlang-program.html

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Most Liked

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

I remember this article, his whole site is a great read. :slight_smile:

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

First poster: bot
There is a long, difficult road from vague, pie-in-the-sky ideas about what would be cool to have in a new programming language, to a rob...
New
First poster: bot
A short history of ReScript (BuckleScript). It takes time to write such a post for a non-native speaker like me, but I appreciate what t...
New
CommunityNews
Today, we, the Tokio team, are announcing the initial release of Tokio Console (Github), enabling Rust developers to gain deeper insight ...
New
CommunityNews
Multicore OCaml by kayceesrk · Pull Request #10831 · ocaml/ocaml. This PR adds support for shared-memory parallelism through domains and...
New
First poster: mafinar
8 Reasons why Clojure is a better Java than Java. Clojure is better than Java at its own game. Using code examples, we dive into what ma...
New
New
First poster: bot
Haskell in Production: Freckle. In this interview, we talk with Pat Brisbin, a Principal Engineer at Freckle, a company that helps teach...
New
First poster: bot
GitHub - Shirakumo/trial: A fully-fledged Common Lisp game engine. A fully-fledged Common Lisp game engine. Contribute to Shirakumo/tria...
New
First poster: bot
Disclaimer: I work at Uber and am partially responsible for bringing zig cc to serious internal use. Opinions are mine, this blog post is...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Hi! I’m Ellen, but you probably know me as duckinator or puppy. I really wish I didn’t have to write this, but I feel the Ruby community...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New