CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Ruffle: WebAssembly Flash Player Emulator

Ruffle

Ruffle is a Flash Player emulator written in Rust. Ruffle runs natively on all modern operating systems as a standalone application, and on all modern browsers through the use of WebAssembly. Leveraging the safety of the modern browser sandbox and the memory safety guarantees of Rust, we can confidently avoid all the security pitfalls that Flash had a reputation for. Ruffle puts Flash back on the web, where it belongs - including browsers on iOS and Android!

Designed to be easy to use and install, users or website owners may install the web version of Ruffle and existing flash content will “just work”, with no extra configuration required. Ruffle will detect all existing Flash content on a website and automatically “polyfill” it into a Ruffle player, allowing seamless and transparent upgrading of websites that still rely on Flash content.

Ruffle is an entirely open source project maintained by volunteers. We’re all passionate about the preservation of internet history, and we were drawn to working on this project to help preserve the many websites and plethora of content that will no longer be accessible when users can no longer run the official Flash Player. If you would like to help support this project, we welcome all contributions of any kind - even if it’s just playing some old games and seeing how well they run.

Read in full here:

https://ruffle.rs/demo/

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Most Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

This is cool! The first website I ever made was in Flash - wonder if I can find it and get it to work on Ruffle :lol:

faust

faust

Sure, Flash plugin had its problems, but we need to be honest there were some really cool games back then xD

other day I was trying to remember a really fun one, it was some kind of tower defence, where you needed to avoid zombies from crossing through the path.
I wish I could find it once again =x

AstonJ

AstonJ

For me I loved how you could bring sites to life. I had several job offers based solely on my personal website (which looking back was a a bit pants really, but it was different enough to catch the eye of some I guess).

I wonder if @starboyai33 has any ideas :upside_down_face:

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

First poster: bot
nim-lang/Nim. Nim is a statically typed compiled systems programming language. It combines successful concepts from mature languages lik...
New
CommunityNews
By the end of this guide we’ll have a minimal, working implementation of a small part of Lua from scratch.
New
First poster: mafinar
8 Reasons why Clojure is a better Java than Java. Clojure is better than Java at its own game. Using code examples, we dive into what ma...
New
CommunityNews
One of the strongest sides of Go programming language is a built-in concurrency based on Tony Hoare’s CSP paper. Go is designed with conc...
New
First poster: bot
Building a Neural Network in Pure Lisp without Built-in Numbers using only Atoms and Lists. A neural network written in pure Lisp withou...
New
First poster: bot
Haskell in Production: Freckle. In this interview, we talk with Pat Brisbin, a Principal Engineer at Freckle, a company that helps teach...
New
First poster: bot
Some Thoughts on Zig — Sympolymathesy, by Chris Krycho. One of the biggest things Zig has going for it—especially compared to Rust—is th...
New
First poster: bot
GitHub - pintariching/rustle: Svelte compiler rewritten in Rust. Svelte compiler rewritten in Rust. Contribute to pintariching/rustle de...
New
First poster: bot
not-common-lisp-to-julia.org. GitHub Gist: instantly share code, notes, and snippets.
New
gfqdjb
The goal of this book is to help you get from a vague idea of what you need to implement (e.g.: “I need to build a website to manage sche...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New