Jsdr3398

Jsdr3398

What are some great learning resources for Elixir?

I’ve recently become interested in Elixir and all it’s neat perks. And since I’m currently working on a messaging platform; elixir seems to be the perfect choice.

I’ve found a few resources online already, such as Pragmatic Studio (who actually brought me to this site :eyes:) and elixircasts.io

What I really like about these resources is that you can actually make projects while watching, it’s just better than reading the elixir docs imo :joy:

Pragmatic Studio is great. I could really understand what they were saying and I had fun while following them, unlike other resources like YouTube videos. Sadly, it all ended way too soon imo and I can’t really shell out $99 to continue. Currently hoping it goes well for me on the giveaways :sweat_smile:

elixircasts.io has a few neat videos but they are very unorganized and it’s hard to navigate. So i pretty much gave up on that site :grimacing:

Does anyone know any other (preferably free) resources for learning elixir? Thanks in advance.

Most Liked

Rainer

Rainer

Also worth mentioning:
https://elixirschool.com/

AstonJ

AstonJ

Well you’ve found two of the best video resources already Mr GD :nerd_face:

ElixirCasts (and screencasts in general) aren’t meant to be watched in an ordered fashion btw, they are usually more like a library of tips for when you come across a specific problem. What you find is over time these resources become incredibly useful - particularly when working on an actual project because when you find you want to do something, you may well find an episode that shows you exactly how to do it! Courses like those the Pragmatic bookshelf offer are generally more for the learning stages, though of course are also useful for when you need a recap :smiley:

Keep an eye on the learning resources sections for both Elixir and Erlang:

With regards to learning resources, if you’re on a tight budget - enter our giveaways! You’d might be surprised one day!

If budget is less of an issue, I would highly recommend ANY book by PragProg or Manning or in fact any other publisher that professionally edits their authors books. I have found over the years that professional editing is priceless, and why I always try to encourage self-publishers to go with a tech publisher if they can. (Also don’t forget you can get money off with our discounts!)

If you can let us know a little more about your background, how much programming you already know, how long you’ve been programming etc we should be able to recommend you something more specific :+1:

Jsdr3398

Jsdr3398

Woah, thanks!

I’m a full stack developer and know react, nodejs, html/css/js and python. I recently started working with react, I got at least 2 years experience with the other things on the list

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

AstonJ
I’ve seen more and more people get into Rust recently, so thought it would be cool to have a thread for people to share what they like ab...
New
bot
A new item has been posted: This thread was posted automatically, if you feel it could be in a better category and are at Trust Level ...
New
New
New
First poster: bot
Welcome to RETRO, my personal take on the Forth language. This is a modern system primarily targetting desktop, mobile, and servers, th...
New
New
mafinar
I wrote a blog post! On F#. I usually don’t write things but figured i should try it out, also experimenting with F# and C# lately, love ...
New
jaeyson
Hi all!, anybody tried this Elixir quiz from @Tetiana? She’s the one who made Elixircards.
New
almokhtar
Howdy, folks i have this question about it is ok to learn two different programming languages same time, well my story is i joined a comp...
New
mafinar
Hello! Advent of Year 2023 is upon us and like past few years, I’ll be opening threads discussing each year’s problems. Day 1 was today....
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New