AstonJ

AstonJ

Will we see a move towards more remote jobs following Covid-19?

This article seems to suggest so:

I hope we see some stats on pollution too - I bet there’ll be a start difference. Remote working for people who can should have been a thing in the wider world a long time ago…

Most Liked

Phillipp

Phillipp

I really hope so. Now, many companies are forced to do remote work and my hope is that they see that it can work more or less (they might have to figure things out and experiment for a while until they get to full productivity again).

If everyone who can (most office jobs), works from home, it could a huge impact on the environment. All that wasted commute to and from work would be gone. Trains and streets wouldn’t overflow like they do now during rush hours. Also, people might move away from these horrible cities … no, wait, they should stay there so I have more space here in my village :smiley:

Eiji

Eiji

Depends on few things …

  1. The first one is definitely time. If virus would survive summer and would continue to infect in next months too then we may be in remote heaven. Just people would be used for it and after half a year of working like that working onsite may generate more and more costs.

  2. Countries and their laws … After longer time company owners may look at security differently, but if there would be still something which compensates costs of offices then many companies potentially could turn back …

  3. How much people would panic. Surprisingly panic may finally give something positive.

  4. There could be also something that would force people to work remotely. Just look how some type of businesses (not single companies, but most/all of specific type) have problems. Imagine extra taxes on tickets for public transport or something like that. When prices increases it may be less worth (in at least short time) to work onsite. People therefore may force work in such way or leave company.

  5. Due to a huge changes in world there could be a chain reaction which may force people to work remotely in “this or other way”.

  6. Travel restrictions may cause less normal people to travel. It could completely change touristic business and increase therefore costs of travel especially between continents. Maybe USA would finally wake up and stop with all of that “fake remote” (like remote, but only in x city/country/timezone) offers.

  7. Change in development environments … Not only gaming may much more focus on online play, but overall IT-related work. Maybe even we would have more native apps. New environments for working with fully distributed teams may change business.

and many more …

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I’ve seen no small amount of companies clearly assert that they will be back to on-site work after the lockdown is over so I have my doubts.

However, I am pretty sure that remote in general will become more prevalent which is a huge win – including for the planet.

Hopefully the pressures on the business will finally make them see through the very shallow “he is in the office, I can look at his screen, therefore he is working” dogma – which almost never works anyway.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
In your opinion which programming languages are simple to use and easy to get started wither those who don’t have a computer science bac...
New
axelson
Can anyone recommend a tmux session switcher? I’ve used https://github.com/siadat/session-finder in the past but it’s not very actively m...
New
AstonJ
What do you think needs fixing in the digital / computer science sphere?
New
chasekaylee
I’ve been using the classic notebook to-do list, but I’m curious to hear what awesome tools are out there that I am not aware of. I’m alw...
New
New
Exadra37
Kubernetes is everywhere. Transactional apps, video streaming services and machine learning workloads are finding a home on this ever-gro...
New
jaeyson
Not trying to add more mess here but, reddit has ELI5 but i wanted to know if it’s okay to ask Elixir-specific (or outside of it) in a si...
New
Exadra37
My brother got a VPS on https://contabo.com hosting provider, but I was not aware of them, and when my brother told me the price and spec...
New
DevotionGeo
Hi everyone! I bought this domain name when I was planning to create a website like ElixirSchool.com, but that didn’t ever happen. Now ...
New
AstonJ
Curious whether you remap your Caps Lock. Do you remap your Caps Lock key? poll I have no idea what Globe is btw, just seen it in the ma...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Programming Ruby is the most complete book on Ruby, covering both the language itself and the standard library as well as commonly used t...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New