CommunityNews

CommunityNews

A comparison of rust and zig

For the first 8 or so years of my programming experience, while I was an undergraduate and later graduate student, working in the experimental and later theoretical high energy physics communities, my “go-to” language was C++. This experience led me to the same opinion of C++ as many of its practitioners: I both respect and despise it. Time to spend substantial time learning C++ alternatives.

I have therefore chosen two languages, rust and zig for writing a simple command line utility. The idea was to implement exactly the same utility in both languages, and then judge which I prefer. I began by implementing minimal functionality, later I will expand on it with the “winning” language.

In this blog post I would like to recount some of my experiences.

Read in full here:

https://expandingman.gitlab.io/tvu-compare/

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

First poster: bot
Powerful, flexible, complex: The origins of C++ date back 40 years, yet it remains one of the most widely used programming languages toda...
New
First poster: bot
Kawa is a general-purpose programming language that runs on the Java platform. It aims to combine: the benefits of dynamic scripting la...
New
First poster: bot
GitHub - cshum/imagor: Fast, Docker-ready image processing server written in Go and libvips, with Thumbor URL syntax. Fast, Docker-ready...
New
First poster: bot
GitHub - nanobowers/py2cr: Python3 to Crystal Translation using Python AST Walker. Python3 to Crystal Translation using Python AST Walke...
New
First poster: mafinar
8 Reasons why Clojure is a better Java than Java. Clojure is better than Java at its own game. Using code examples, we dive into what ma...
New
First poster: bot
GitHub - Vexu/arocc: A C compiler written in Zig… A C compiler written in Zig. Contribute to Vexu/arocc development by creating an accou...
New
First poster: bot
Rails adds support for Fiber-safe ActiveRecord ConnectionPools. Ruby on Rails and ReactJS consulting company. We also build mobile appli...
New
First poster: bot
clog/LEARN.md at main · rabbibotton/clog. CLOG - The Common Lisp Omnificent GUI. Contribute to rabbibotton/clog development by creating ...
New
First poster: bot
Introducing Trilogy: a new database adapter for Ruby on Rails | The GitHub Blog. We’ve open sourced Trilogy, the database adapter we use...
New
First poster: bot
user-defined iteration using range over func values · Discussion #56413 · golang/go. There is no standard way to iterate over a sequence...
/go
New

Other popular topics Top

brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
AstonJ
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New