wolf4earth

wolf4earth

What tooling are you using to test a web application?

When building a web application there are quite a number of quality assurance related tools out there. Among them tools to do (a non-exhaustive list):

Now what I’m curious to hear is what concrete tools you’ve been using, why you’ve been using them, and what your experience with them is.

I’d like to focus on language agnostic tools (speak it doesn’t assume the language your app is built in) but if your language of choice has a super-rad thing you’d like to showcase in this category then feel free to do so. :slightly_smiling_face:

Most Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

For simpler projects I generally look at top stats on the server and monitor resources used per page/request type.

This is really interesting when you turn things on like caching, and also really good for when you don’t have much control over the software used - eg, when you use Wordpress, Discourse or other 3rd party software.

wolf4earth

wolf4earth

Monitoring is an interesting area of tools too!

But I was thinking more of tooling which you’d be using before your application hits production. Anything from ensuring it can handle the expected load, verifying that API endpoints don’t behave unexpectedly when receiving garbage data, performing UI tests, to checking data sent to third-party services.

To speak in concrete terms, here are some tools I know of (but haven’t necessarily used) which fall into this category:

Is there any tool you’re using in this category, @AstonJ? :slightly_smiling_face:

ShowMeBillyJo

ShowMeBillyJo

We’re currently using Selenium (legacy) for UI testing before deploys. We’re investigating Selenium WebDriver as an alternative, but it’s slow going as we’re bottlenecked in dev at the moment.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
AstonJ
What chair do you have while working… and why? Is there a ‘best’ type of chair or working position for developers?
New
siddhant3030
I’m thinking of buying a monitor that I can rotate to use as a vertical monitor? Also, I want to know if someone is using it for program...
New
AstonJ
Inspired by this tweet by @dasdom Even if you take out all the damage being done by humans, our planet has about 50B years before bein...
New
Exadra37
I am a Linux user since 2012, more or less, and I always use Ubuntu on my computers, and my last 2 laptops have been used Thinkpads, wher...
New
jss
What do people think about Data-Oriented Programming, like this book tackles? https://www.manning.com/books/data-oriented-programming Ho...
New
jaeyson
Not trying to add more mess here but, reddit has ELI5 but i wanted to know if it’s okay to ask Elixir-specific (or outside of it) in a si...
New
AstonJ
Do we have any digital nomads here? Anyone fancy it? If so, which countries would you consider? I’ve been toying with the idea for a wh...
New
malloryerik
With 100% less blockchain. I went searching for a lightweight immutable database that could be audited and ran into this. I guess this ...
New
Exadra37
My brother got a VPS on https://contabo.com hosting provider, but I was not aware of them, and when my brother told me the price and spec...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New