Margaret

Margaret

Editor at PragProg

What experienced authors have to say

What I want to share first is the wisdom from a few of our experienced authors and what they have to say about writing. I think one of the most important takeaways is that none of them set out to be authors. Writing a book was just a side effect of being passionate about a topic and wanting to teach others.

So, in alphabetical order, to be diplomatic, here are a few words of wisdom from authors:

Brian Hogan @bphogan

Chris Pine @chrispine

Venkat Subramaniam @venkats

Jay Wengrow @jaywengrow

About me: I have my own little content business called Electronic Document Design. I also help out over at The Pragmatic Bookshelf in the role of developmental editor and author relations.

I’m excited to participate in this new Content Creators forum.

Most Liked

chrispine

chrispine

Author of Learn to Program

I was just saying to someone yesterday that I accidentally wrote a book once. :slight_smile:

Margaret

Margaret

Editor at PragProg

I have to add an experience from Stephen Bussey @sb8244, author of Real-Time Phoenix #book-real-time-phoenix who has a blog post about his journey to becoming an author.

Takeaways:

  • Don’t be discouraged if your initial proposal doesn’t fly.
  • Focus the proposal (and book) on what readers can do. Talk about the problems they can solve, and not the technology itself.
  • Set small writing goals (like a subsection instead of an entire chapter).
  • Establish a pattern for your writing to follow: introduce the topic, present the meat, wrap it up.
  • Watch out for burnout; find ways to get reinvigorated about the topic (Webinars, conferences).
  • What you decide not to include is important too.
  • Be prepared for mental challenges: allow yourself to enjoy other parts of your life without guilt about not writing.

Steve has much more to say, and if you are curious about what it is like to write a book, his insight is fresh, so check it out.

AstonJ

AstonJ

Thanks for sharing Margaret - I am sure these will help budding authors. I love the PragProg spotlights too :nerd_face:

Congrats on setting up and running http://edocdesign.com as well! :blush:

Great mission statement:

…our main mission is to help you transition from a paper-based office or home to an electronic, multi-media environment.

I love my Kindle and I really appreciate books that are written with e-readers in mind. In fact this is something I’d love to ask all authors consider when writing; please make your books e-reader friendly. My review of the Ecto book explains what I mean in more detail: Programming Ecto (Pragprog) - #40 by AstonJ - Books - Elixir Programming Language Forum

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

Devtalk
Content Creators Section Use this section for anything to do with creating developer related content or educational resources :smiley:
New
AstonJ
It’s great to see so many book authors, would-be book authors and other content creators here - so if you have an idea for a book or some...
New
Margaret
What I want to share first is the wisdom from a few of our experienced authors and what they have to say about writing. I think one of t...
New
Margaret
If you are interested in writing, but not sure if you want to commit to a full-length book, take a look at the new Pragmatic Answers seri...
New
Margaret
Are you a budding content creator in need of some inspiration? Be sure to check out @maik Maik Schmidt’s author spotlight. Please post y...
New
Margaret
I’m happy to say that Miki Tebeka @tebeka has agreed to work with PragProg to help us publish more Brain Teasers books as our chief Puzz...
New
Margaret
Hello content creators! Happy new year. What tech topics do you think will be the focus of 2021? My vote for one topic is ethics in tech...
New
Margaret
I’ve noticed that for some tech book authors, illustrations are not a priority. I think images are quite useful for explaining a process ...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New