AstonJ

AstonJ

What are your must-have web framework features?

Or which features of current frameworks you use you feel you couldn’t live without?

Most Liked

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Ability to degrade gracefully in the absence of JS

Still something that is missing from most web projects out there. Not cool. This is not only about surveillance, ads, trackers etc. – sometimes people are legitimately out and about (say on an archaeologist site) and they should be able to opt out of JS and the Web should be able to [minimally] serve them.

I’d like to see more frameworks allow something along those lines. Some of the app’s artifacts and functionality could be described with something akin to Rails / Phoenix templating language that varies its outputs depending on if the user’s browser has enabled JS.

ohm

ohm

I don’t think it needs much, but an ORM is definitely on the must-have list.

connorlay

connorlay

Web frameworks are difficult to get right in my mind. You want them to be prescriptive, so you benefit from shared conventions when moving between projects, but flexible so you do not become restricted by the framework if your application moves in a direction counter to the framework itself. Ruby on Rails is a good example of a framework that has strong conventions, but can be a pain when you start to fight it.

I’ve been impressed with the care taken towards the Phoenix framework to keep things modular, as to avoid framework bloat, but also batteries (mostly) included for rapid iteration in the early stages of the project.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

AstonJ
Which server-side languages are you most interested in right now? Anything new or relatively new that’s caught your eye? Maybe an older l...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
First poster: bot
What's so exciting about Postgres? with Craig Kerstiens (The Changelog #417). PostgreSQL aficionado Craig Kerstiens joins Jerod to talk ...
New
First poster: bot
About Self Self is a prototype-based dynamic object-oriented programming language, environment, and virtual machine centered around the p...
New
mudasobwa
To promote Tarearbol.DynamicManager I created the :heart_eyes_cat:-language (which is a brainfuck dialect.) Code outputting “Meow” to th...
New
mafinar
So I was thinking of trying out Crystal, I had tried it multiple times but left it midway. Now that there’s a book on it and it’s version...
New
DevotionGeo
What do you people do for reading Erlang docs? Is there something like Ruby’s ri? I installed manual pages for Erlang under /usr/local/...
New
KnowledgeIsPower
MongoDB, Cassandra, DynamoDB and etc. Also, do you use VM or container to run it?
New
pillaiindu
Cross posting from Elixir Forum. Build it with Phoenix is a nice course by Geoffrey Lessel @geo. But if you start with Phoenix 1.7.2 or ...
New
pillaiindu
Hi everyone, Does anyone know when will “Agile Web Development in Rails 8” by Pragmatic Bookshelf release. I’m eager to dive into the la...
New

Other popular topics Top

Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New