AstonJ

AstonJ

What do you think the giants in the industry are working on behind closed doors?

Not products (tho that would be an interesting thread too!) but developer wise - languages, frameworks and other technology; what do you think companies like Apple and Google are working on in secret? :upside_down_face:

Most Liked

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Well for overall working on, AI, just outright, they want to automate as much a they can. Not so much secret though, but precisely how far each has gotten probably is.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Judging by latest efforts from Facebook (their codemod tool) and by knowing how corporations always want to save money, I’d say that the software tech giants at least are trying really hard to commoditize code refactoring – and maybe even generating fully functioning projects.

I also wrote about this in several other threads: it’s high time we have tools that can do trivial code editing for us, like “move this function from module A to module B and make sure all previous callers are now calling the new module and function” or “delete this arm of this nested if-else-else-else condition and make sure tests pass”… The possibilities are limitless, the gains and savings – enormous.

AstonJ

AstonJ

Do it Dimi! I’m sure you could come up with something if it is something you are really passionate about :blush:

It’s definitely going to be a part of the future, and I wonder how far in our future we will see it? Deserves a thread of its own too I reckon! :smiley:

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
:smiling_imp: What is your preferred syntax style and why? Perhaps we can add examples and use the code below as a simple reference poi...
New
AstonJ
If so, what was the last blog post you wrote… and if not, why not?
New
chasekaylee
Hi there! I have some old Bose in ear noise cancelling headphones that have worked like a champ for the past 3 years and was maybe due fo...
New
New
jamiedumont
This is all going to be a bit hand-wavey and straight off the top of my head, so bear with me, but it’s a thought/debate that’s been ratt...
New
AstonJ
Maybe a specific language or framework? Or a book or tool perhaps? What’s made your life easier and what do you think could make the live...
New
TwistingTwists
Hello Fellow developers, I have been trying to wrap my head around How difficult would it have been to be a dev 20-30 years ago? I have...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
AstonJ
Chris Seaton, the creator of TruffleRuby has died. It appears from suicide :cry: He left this note on Twitter on the weekend: And one...
New
AntonRich
I don’t know what happened today. But I just started reading SICP which I meant to do for a long time. The book itself: I’m not even s...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New