CommunityNews

CommunityNews

WebAssembly Search Tools for Static Sites

The challenge of searching static websites is effectively a solved problem with brilliant, yet widely unadopted, solutions.

These projects scan and index your content at build time and ship it to the browser with the rest of your static files. No out-of-your-control external service required. A small library in JavaScript (sometimes accompanied by WebAssembly) loads the index and allows instant searching and works just fine offline. Searching the complete Federalist Papers for multiple keywords takes less than 100µs in my Wasm tech demo (I’ll get to that later on).

The most popular libraries are written in JavaScript like Lunr, or Fuse, or FlexSearch. They provide pre-compiled indexes and fuzzy, wildcard, and boolean searches. They have good documentation and are ready for production usage.

But I’m more interested in how the up-and-coming Wasm-powered projects work. Browser search is a space where Wasm can really find an edge. Wasm runs faster, loads quicker, and ships smaller binaries (in theory, in practice it takes some work to get there)…

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Where Next?

Popular Frontend topics Top

First poster: bot
In JavaScript programs, asynchrony arises in situations such as web-based user-interfaces, communicating with servers through HTTP reques...
/js
New
First poster: bot
JavaScript allows calling a function with a different number of arguments than the expected number of parameters, i.e., one can pass fewe...
/js
New
First poster: bot
The challenge of searching static websites is effectively a solved problem with brilliant, yet widely unadopted, solutions. These projec...
New
First poster: bot
Just one year before the first web page went live in 1991, Microsoft began shipping perhaps the most well-known icon font, Wingdings. How...
New
First poster: bot
Backend languages in the browser have been a thing for a long time. Google Web Toolkit would compile Java applications into JavaScript, a...
New
First poster: bot
User-preference based media features, container queries, and media queries for new screen types, such as foldable screens, will enable us...
New
First poster: bot
Introduction WebAssembly is a standard of the World Wide Web consortium, which latest official release is WebAssembly Core Specification,...
New
AstonJ
I can’t remember who was asking about CSS tuts now… but these just showed up on my YouTube feed and look pretty good/up to date :023:
New
First poster: OvermindDL1
I have to admit: as I’ve watched Tailwind enthusiastically adopted by more and more of the frontend community, I’ve remained skeptical. B...
New
ragamuf
I wrote a handy little Mix task to automatically register your Stimulus javascript controllers when using esBuild with Phoenix. It is sim...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New