brainlid

brainlid

ThinkingElixir 101 - Replicating SQLite using Litestream with Ben Johnson

In episode 101 of Thinking Elixir, Ben Johnson explains his project Litestream.io, an OpenSource tool that replicates SQLite databases to remote servers and to backup locations like S3 for durability. We talk about how moving data out to the user creates true edge applications. We discuss what types of problems this helps solve, the architectures that become possible, and how a globally distributed Phoenix application could use this. He shares how Fly.io acquired the project and brought him on full-time to continue his work on it. Fascinating discussion that challenges many of the assumptions about how we’ve been building “web” systems for years.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

dimitarvp
Apparently he decided to live-stream how he’s going to create a semver library.
New
First poster: bot
In a previous post we talked about implementing a simple video chat with WebRTC and Elixir. This update will touch on some of the API cha...
New
First poster: bot
What’s Next for Teal, the typed dialect of Lua - FOSDEM 2021. This is my talk about the latest updates on the Teal programming language,...
New
paulanthonywilson
I had a bit of a mini-adventure following Sobelow’s advice on adding a CSP to a Phoenix App. If you want to follow along, or want to add ...
New
First poster: bot
Over the last few years, due in large part to the hype surrounding blockchain and cryptocurrencies, decentralized applications have gaine...
New
First poster: bot
At Grammarly, the foundation of our business, our core grammar engine, is written in Common Lisp. It currently processes more than a thou...
New
First poster: bot
PHP 8.1 is already taking shape quite well, yet there’s one feature I’d love to see added, that’s still being discussed: multi-line short...
New
tonyxrandall
When DoorDash approached the limits of what our Django-based monolithic codebase could support, we needed to design a new stack that woul...
New
StuntProgrammer
In building lofi.limo, media storage and distribution naturally came up. I have songs, announcements, and background image loops which I ...
New
fullstackplus
The Ruby ecosystem is rich with tools that make us developers more productive at what we do. Both Rails and Sinatra have been used to bui...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New