CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Ten years without Elixir

Ten years without Elixir.
I never got into Elixir, largely because it looked like Ruby. I was a Rubyist for a good while, spent time and effort to learn where to park my commas, semicolons, and periods in Erlang, so I never felt that Elixir was something I wanted.

http://blog.cretaria.com/posts/ten-years-without-elixir.html

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Most Liked

mafinar

mafinar

I am not sure I understand the criticism on pipes.

AstonJ

AstonJ

Yeah… esp since pipes are one of the things people love about Elixir :smiley:

mafinar

mafinar

At first I did not like pipes as much, because it felt limited (only first argument) and I was fresh out of Clojure. Then I realized to appreciate the power of limitations. Data design in Elixir feels very natural since you have an intuitive understanding of what the first argument should be. I am fine with that, although I could create a pipe_second or pipe_third, I’d never do that because I prefer stability to extreme sports. I had struggle grokking the pipe (looks the same: |>) of F#, because it doesn’t pipe into first argument, but the final one, and for some time I couldn’t visualize function signatures in my head, but everything became clear after I embraced the curry-by-default mindset. It does not have macro that would be threading in, but they don’t need it, because f(a, b)(c) is f(a, b, c) and c |> f(a, b) is just rotating the (c).

But even then, Elixir’s is the best pipe for me.

(btw I am not saying Clojure is extreme sports, it has different philosophy and design mindset)

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

New
DevotionGeo
There are 3 main formatters for Erlang which you can use from the command-line, rebar3_format, Steamroller elmfmt. Visual Studio Cod...
New
First poster: bot
It’s not legacy code — it’s PHP. Vimeo has been using PHP in production for over 15 years. Find out how we keep a million lines of PHP i...
New
paulanthonywilson
So you’re enjoying using WebSockets with Elixir’s Phoenix Framework, and you want to send some binary messages. Maybe it’s an audio clip,...
New
First poster: bot
Like, on a scale from c to rust? issue c zig (release-safe) rust (release) out-of-bounds heap read/write none runtime runtime ...
New
CommunityNews
Functional programming is an increasing popular programming paradigm with many languages building or already supporting it. Go already su...
New
brainlid
In episode 81 of Thinking Elixir, we talk with Digit and Quinn Wilton about the Burrito project. It wraps up Elixir to a single binary, e...
New
brainlid
In episode 83 of Thinking Elixir, We talk with Isaac Yonemoto about the Zig language and his Zigler Elixir library. We learn where Zig ca...
New
brainlid
In episode 92 of Thinking Elixir, we talk with Mitchell Hanberg and learn about why he created the alternate Phoenix templating language ...
New
ragamuf
Does the world need another How to create a blog article? Maybe not. But then again, creating something out of nothing is what we love....
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New