brainlid

brainlid

ThinkingElixir 091 - Reviewing Elixir with José Valim - Part 3

In episode 91 of Thinking Elixir, José Valim returns to continue with part 3 of our 5 part series as we count down to the 10 year anniversary of the Elixir project we know and love. In Part 3, we talk through the Elixir releases of 1.7, 1.8, and 1.9. We talk about the unification efforts between Elixir and Erlang. These came through changes to error stacktraces, how documentation is stored, a unified logger, and more. We learn how features like Mix.target made a big difference for the Nerves project. We also hear the call for contributors to help bring a few remaining date/time features to Elixir. The big feature in Elixir 1.9 was the addition of deployment releases and the early efforts at managing config for releases. We thought this would be a short episode but found there was a lot to talk about and learn!

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

lpil
Shayne gave this excellent talk the other day on Gleam, so I thought I’d share it. From my point of view it was really interesting to se...
New
New
First poster: bot
Why Zig When There is Already C++, D, and Rust? No hidden control flow No hidden allocations First-class support for no standard library...
New
AstonJ
Just finished doing a clean install of macOS (which I highly recommend btw!) and have updated my macOS Ruby & Elixir/Erlang dev env s...
New
AstonJ
Just listening to this now… Totally agree with @FrancescoC’s and @thompson_si’s comment “learn to learn” :sunglasses: In our talk we’...
New
First poster: bot
This post explains why Scala projects are difficult to maintain. Scala is a powerful programming language that can make certain small te...
New
First poster: bot
Just a small test with lists in cython. Considering echosystem, multithreading and ease of use, Julia is a clear winner here.
New
AstonJ
This was posted on the Elixir Forum and thought it was worth sharing here! I love how the excitement of the author shines through and I ...
New
First poster: bot
Too long have we hustled to deploy Clojure websites. Too long have we spun up one server instance per site. Too long have reminisced abou...
New
brainlid
Episode 244 of Thinking Elixir. News includes the release of Elixir 1.18.2 with various enhancements and bug fixes, a new experimental SQ...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New