brainlid

brainlid

Thinking Elixir 279 - Hot Code Upgrades and Hotter AI Takes

Episode 279 of Thinking Elixir. News includes Chris McCord’s FlyDeploy for zero-downtime hot code upgrades on Fly.io, the Elixir GRPC library update with interactive Livebook documentation, ErrorTracker v0.7.0 with LiveView 1.0 support, a new AI-powered terminal emulator called exterm_ai, Horde joining a new GitHub organization focused on distributed systems, SmartLogic’s case study using Elixir for real-time air quality monitoring, GitHub’s 2025 Octoverse report showing TypeScript becoming the most used language, and Mark shares his detailed AI development workflow that compresses 2 weeks of work into 2 days by using coding agents as a Software Architect, and more!

Most Liked

SyntaxSorcerer

SyntaxSorcerer

I’m grateful to Mark for sharing his AI dev workflow in this episode. I haven’t used AI tools to build anything noteworthy in the Elixir ecosystem yet, but it’s encouraging to hear others are having success.

Chris McCord’s keynote at ElixirConf US 2025 (back in September) was my first real exposure to the power of building with AI and Elixir, and I’m eager to ~~soak up~~ bookmark as much as I can WRT Elixir + AI best practices. As an Elixir newbie, I think I still need a couple of more months of focusing on the fundamentals before trying to leverage AI to build production-ready software :slight_smile:

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

Scorpil
I dabbled in Phoenix for a while now, but never really got my hands dirty with it right up until now. Apart from the whole framework bein...
New
First poster: bot
It’s not legacy code — it’s PHP. Vimeo has been using PHP in production for over 15 years. Find out how we keep a million lines of PHP i...
New
AstonJ
If you’re interested in Rust this is worth a read :smiley: Technology from the past come to save the future from itself Hi I have be...
New
First poster: bot
The run-time speed and memory usage of programs written in Rust should about the same as of programs written in C, but overall programmin...
New
First poster: bot
Like, on a scale from c to rust? issue c zig (release-safe) rust (release) out-of-bounds heap read/write none runtime runtime ...
New
First poster: bot
Just a small test with lists in cython. Considering echosystem, multithreading and ease of use, Julia is a clear winner here.
New
First poster: bot
I discovered Elixir and Go at about the same time (2019). I had pivoted almost eight years of working as a Java developer, and part of me...
New
New
brainlid
In episode 83 of Thinking Elixir, We talk with Isaac Yonemoto about the Zig language and his Zigler Elixir library. We learn where Zig ca...
New
vkatsuba
Hi folks! Ukrainian Erlanger is here :sign_of_the_horns:! I’d like to share my recent talk at the TADSummit Online Conference, where I ...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New