CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Comparing Svelte and React

Last year I created Pomodone, a small time tracking application based on the Pomodoro technique of working in 25 minute intervals. It’s a pretty basic app; it has a 25 minute timer (that runs in a Web Worker) and saves a history of your “poms” to a small Firebase database. I initially built it using React (well, Preact actually) but I then started to play around with Svelte, and decided rebuilding the app in Svelte might be a nice way to blog about the similarities and differences between the libraries.

This is not a post declaring Svelte to be better than React, or vice-versa. This is a post where I’ll tell you about my preferences, and what I find easier or harder with either framework. I’m not here to pick a fight! Plus, Pomodone is hardily a vastly complex application that could be used to fully put React or Svelte through its paces. Think of this post as a commentary based on my experience throwing a side project together, focusing on the developer experience putting these components together…

React and Svelte are very similar in many ways, but what I’ve found is that in all the little ways that they are different, I prefer Svelte…

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Where Next?

Popular Frontend topics Top

First poster: bot
How I Write Elm Applications. This is the homepage of Jezen Thomas — programmer, and founder of NewBusinessMonitor and Comparestack. Top...
New
First poster: bot
Why I Love Tailwind. Why Tailwind is blowing up, why I (the creator of styled-components) love it and how I avoid the downsides of atomi...
New
First poster: bot
Because lighter plugins mean lighter sites. https://vanillalist.top/ This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news ...
New
First poster: bot
Choosing a language to replace Javascript (and why it’s F#). This is an opinion piece. YMMV Once in a while, I start a side project who...
New
First poster: bot
Introduction WebAssembly is a standard of the World Wide Web consortium, which latest official release is WebAssembly Core Specification,...
New
First poster: bot
View in full here: https://kryogenix.org/code/browser/everyonehasjs.html This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our ne...
/js
New
First poster: bot
I had the chance to toy around with Deno recently. And with “toy around” I mean dissecting it into little pieces and see how the sausage ...
New
First poster: bot
For every day of advent I am building a new UI Component. The theme? You guessed it ― Christmas. :christmas_tree:
New
First poster: davearonson
What is surprising is that a 14kB page can load much faster than a 15kBpage — maybe 612ms faster — while the difference between a 15kB an...
New
szajbus
Monaco is state-of-the-art browser-based code editor that powers VS Code. Let’s see how to integrate it with Phoenix LiveView using esbuild.
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New